Dwight Howard gets $35,000 fine for calling out referees

Apr 28, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT

We told you this was coming. It was obvious. It was just a matter of when.

Today. The league announced a $35,000 fine for Dwight Howard for criticizing the referees on his blog.

What did he write that was (apparently) worth $35,000?

“Ya’ll know that that series against Charlotte drove me crazy. I mean, it was almost comical at times how I was getting fouls called on me. There was nothing I could do out there and I felt like I couldn’t move without getting that whistle blown on me,” Howard said.

“I’m not looking to say anything to get myself in trouble with the league, but I just don’t see other star players getting called for fouls the way I get them. No star player in the league is outta games the way I am. I even talked to Patrick Ewing about his career and he said he never had foul trouble like what I’m going through.”

Um, yes you were looking to get in trouble with the league. And it worked.

1. mwill - Apr 28, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Zip it, Dwight! I rarely side with Stern, but he’s right here; the whining HAS TO STOP! I hate to see players stay behind to argue, while the play goes to the other end.
    Shut up and play ball, guys!

2. dimpell - Apr 28, 2010 at 10:28 PM

really….. Dwight is getting fined for speaking his mind!? Let the man talk, the league needs to stop taking things so seriously and worry about more important issues. It amazes me some of the fines that are handed out now a days. If you don’t like what someone has to say, don’t listen to them. Every man/woman has his or her own opinion, CHILL OUR NBA.

3. Tony - Apr 28, 2010 at 11:01 PM

The league has to increase the fines based on your income. I’ll suggest 1% of your annual income, and then an incremental penalty process to top off @ 3% of your annual income. Now, that will stop the whining.

4. Anonymous - Apr 28, 2010 at 11:18 PM

you keep watching the NBA because I’m done! Moving to wrestling where the fix is honest.

5. Rich - Apr 29, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Hey Dwight,
    I watched replays of the fouls that were called on you.
    You deserved them all.
    Stop wackin people when they go to the rim and you’ll stop getting
    called.
    Shaq learned how to do it.

6. Pete - Apr 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Dwight gets wacked two dozen times a game a gets nothing. He has to take it out on defense.

7. deiong - May 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM

sterns trying to cover his corruption, the nba isnt the same every year stern shows how corrupt he is.
    and it just gets worse and worse..

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches