Deron Williams thinks he's the best point guard in the league

Apr 28, 2010, 4:24 PM EDT

NBA_Dwilliams_250.jpgDeron Williams speaks the truth. Debatable truth, but truth. He did it at shootaround today, before his Jazz try to eliminate the Nuggets tonight. He told the Denver Post and other assembled media:

“I think I’m the best point guard in the league. … I thought I was the best point guard in the league for a while…”

“I’m always confident,” he said. “And I always get excited about this time of year. … I have to be aggressive, I have to score, I have to get assists, I have to play defense. … I’m playing well, just trying to be aggressive with (Andrei) Kirilenko and Memo (Okur) out, I’m trying to pick up some scoring while getting other people involved.”

Asked who the No. 2 point guard is, Williams said Chris Paul of the Hornets.

“But he probably thinks he’s the best,” Williams said. “And you can argue for Steve Nash, what he’s doing at this age, is crazy.”

Here’s the test: You’re starting a team tomorrow and you can choose any point guard you want, who you going to choose? Steve Nash is great but not young anymore and his body is just starting to betray him. Russell Westbrook is up and coming with a high ceiling, but he has no midrange game right now. Derrick Rose is also growing his game but is not there yet. Chauncey Billups has not looked great in this series, although tonight is the first time Denver is going to match Billups up on Williams. Before they went with their best defender — Aaron Afflalo — and Williams has owned him.

Chris Paul? There you can make a good argument, but he is coming off an injury so there is some risk. Personally, I prefer Williams’ decision making and his physical strength to Paul. But the two our close.

Williams’ comments may strike some as hubris, but you want your team leader to think he’s that good (you don’t want your role players to think they’re that good). Is Williams the undisputed best? No, only because Paul is in the discussion. But for my team, I’d take Williams.

1. Dre - Apr 28, 2010 at 5:37 PM

Wiliams is the best Point Guard in the NBA. Chris Paul has no jumper and is to small to play defense, plus he is always injured

2. ChooseYourQuestion - Apr 28, 2010 at 5:47 PM

If you are asking who the best point guard is right now, the question is “Game 7 of NBA finals, who do you put in if you have all the NBA point guards to choose from”.
    If you are starting a team, that is a different question entirely. For one thing, it depends on what the rest of your team is. If they are young, I might choose Westbrook. If they are all-star veterans, I might choose Nash because he will distribute better.
    Mike Krzyzewski could only choose among US players.

3. xray - Apr 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM

Deron Williams has been the best point guard for a couple of years now. If he played for a big tv market team , like the lakers, folks would know that.

4. Tom - Apr 28, 2010 at 6:05 PM

I’d take Paul. Great penetrator, shooter, and I runs a team better than Williams.

5. stu - Apr 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM

If I was starting a team today, my point guard would be Tyreke Evans.

6. Outlaw - Apr 28, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I would pick Williams right now but I would not get mad if i had Rondo. I am NOT a Celtics Fan but I like Rondo’s game alot.

7. j.d. hastings - Apr 28, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Only because Stephon is in China!

8. kimmer - Apr 28, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Gollyyyyy! Whatever happened to humility, grasshopper? Shucks, you sure are good, Deron! Do you have a posse too?

9. Craig W. - Apr 28, 2010 at 11:05 PM

Deron has it all. Runs a team superbly, tough defender, outstanding passer, definitely good leader, durable.
    When you put all those together, who else could you consider?
    Maybe my views are colored by the fact that I am a Laker fan, but Deron definitely has my vote.

10. b will - Apr 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Sure, he is the best…best with everything…oh wait except a ring and any chance of getting one in the future. PLEASE!

11. SM - Apr 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM

This is actually a very good question posed by the author:
    Obviously you have to consider Deron, Paul, Rose and maybe even Westbrook.
    But why no Rondo? I would take Rondo EASILY over Nash, or Billups, even with his obvious shooting deficiencies. His ability to run the offense (you know, actually be a “point guard”) and his defensive tenacity puts him right in the mix with the “Big 2″ of Deron and Paul, and certainly in the discussion with the other young players.

12. Todd - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:32 AM

As an NBA junkie, I watch Deron play almost every game….. and I am deftly impressed with his game.
    What people who do not know much about him because he is kind of hidden in Utah, is that his statistics speak nothing of what he could do. If you watch him play, you quickly learn, the guy can score whenever he wants…. its that simple, if he was an offguard, he’d be up around 25-30 ppg….. In the Utah offense, the game is team passing, everybody gets assists, he often gives up the ball and doesn’t see it again…. in some other offenses, even as PG, he would average 22-24 ppg….
    You also quickly notice he’s competitive…. sometimes he’s the only guy on the floor with fire and passion on that Utah team…..
    I don’t know if he is the best, but I think he is right there with Paul…. Rondo doesn’t factor in, I like Rondo’s game, he’s a hustler and probably works harder on defense than any of the others, but he simply doesn’t have the offensive tools of the Big 2….. Westbrook & Rose have a ways to go.

13. rekes son - Jul 18, 2010 at 8:24 PM

tyreke evans is the best point gard in the league as of now

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches