Apr 28, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT
This is starting to make federal financial reform look simple.
The latest in the Larry Brown coaching saga is that the Philadelphia 76ers do want to talk to him, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. But only about being their coach, nothing more.
The 76ers are poised to contact Larry Brown about their coaching vacancy, but they apparently have little interest in offering Brown a front-office position overseeing player personnel decisions, an NBA source with knowledge of the Sixers’ thinking said on Tuesday.
“I’m not coaching for anybody but Michael,” Brown said after Monday night’s loss. When asked if he’d take an executive job, Brown left himself wiggle room, saying: “That’s hypothetical.”
Brown said he was going to return to Philadelphia and hunker down with his family. “I’m going to figure it out,” he said.
It’s family that complicates this. Brown’s wife and 15-year-old son live in Philly. While the family of any NBA coach is shortchanged, not living in the same city as them makes things especially hard. Throw in Brown’s notorious wanderlust for new coaching gigs, and you have yourself a situation. But Brown wants power beyond just what comes with the coach’s chair.
So it’s complicated. And nobody has any idea what Brown will do.
According to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo, Charlotte thinks he is going to choose family and cheese steaks.
Charlotte considers the chances of Brown staying as “minimal at this point,” one league source said. “They’re proceeding like they’ll be looking for a new coach.”
The better coaching job with the better team in Charlotte, or more time with the family in Philly? Like we said, it’s complicated. And Brown is unpredictable.
Let the roller coaster ride start.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65