Apr 27, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
Like weeds, every few days new “Larry Brown will head to Philadelphia” rumors come up. And just as fast everyone involved pulls out the Round-Up and tries to kill it.
But the rumors and denials circle will not die
Sixers chairman Ed Snider referred to a Yahoo.com report that Brown – now coaching the Charlotte Bobcats – was positioning himself to return to the Sixers as president and perhaps coach as “total, unadulterated bull…”
“I don’t know where this stuff comes from,” Snider said last night. “I keep reading that [new Bobcats owner] Michael Jordan has said it’d be OK for Brown to leave [under certain circumstances]. But it’s not coming from us. Nothing is coming from us.”
Then there is Larry Brown himself in the Gaston Gazette.
“I think I’ve answered that for the last two months,” Brown said when asked to comment on the reports. “I’m not coaching anywhere but Charlotte….
“Now, am I going to talk to my family and talk to Michael? Absolutely,” said Brown, who has two years left on a four-year coaching contract he signed with the Bobcats in May 2008. “But I’m not coaching anywhere but for Michael if he’ll have me.”
So we’re all in agreement, right? Wrong.
These rumors are coming from somewhere and they are coming with a reason. Maybe it is Brown’s people/agent trying to create leverage with Jordan for the talks this summer. Maybe Brown wants a GM/front office job and is trying to create that for himself. Maybe it is Philadelphia trying to create some discord in Charlotte so they can get Brown. Maybe a lot of things.
But it is in somebody’s interest to keep spreading them or it would die — and it is not dying.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2