Apr 27, 2010, 11:54 AM EDT
It’s been obvious for some time now that Robin Lopez is quite important to the Phoenix Suns, but he’s even more so after the Suns took a 3-2 series lead over the Blazers last night. With just one win between Phoenix from the second round of the playoffs, I think it’s a bit natural to look forward and see what could be ahead for the Suns.
Hint: it’s big and bad, black and silver, and beats up Phoenix on the regular.
Should the Phoenix-Portland and Dallas-San Antonio series’ go to the teams that currently have the advantage, the Suns will find themselves again matched up with the Spurs. Oh yeah, and those Spurs? They happen to have a hall-of-fame power forward/center (whatever) that will be able to pick the Suns apart from the inside if Phoenix can’t shore up their interior defense pretty quickly.
Lopez would be a huge asset in that regard, and though he’s not quite healthy, he’s getting closer to real game action. From Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic:
A month after coming out of a game because of a twinge in his back and numbness in his legs, Suns center Robin Lopez was on the court Monday, taking his first contact since then.
Another checkup for Lopez’s rehabilitation for a bulging disk cleared him for more work this week after a good week of running and jumping on the court. Lopez will not return this series but is a possibility to play if the Suns advance. “As long as there’s no setback, which there haven’t been, you continue to ramp it up,” Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. “The biggest thing is for him to respond well to the activity.”
Considering that Lopez is still recovering, maybe it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world for Portland to win Game 6. Or Dallas to win Games 5 and 6. Or a series of other bizarre events to transpire that would somehow hold off the second round until Robin is ready to make his return. Phoenix shouldn’t necessarily like their odds against San Antonio with Lopez, but without him? Things could get awfully messy.
- Western Conference Finals preview: Grizzlies vs. Spurs 0
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 28
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 14
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay