Apr 27, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
One would think Dwight Howard would be itching to play some international ball right about now — they let the game get physical there, far more pushing and grabbing. None of those silly fouls he keeps picking up in the playoffs. No more cardboard walls around Superman.
But apparently not. Howard may be the latest star to bow out of the FIBA World Championships, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
…there are indications he might forgo the World Championships in Turkey this summer in order to rest and possibly act in a movie and/or appear in a television reality show, among other things.
Howard has said publicly he would play for Team USA in the World Championships, but those close to Howard say he might be looking for a diplomatic way later to bypass playing in the tournament.
The NBA’s big names may be balking, but a lot of the young stars of the NBA — Kevin Durant, O.J. Mayo and others — are excited to get their chance. They will be the core of the team in the future (maybe even by 2012), let’s see what they can do.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37