Apr 27, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
One would think Dwight Howard would be itching to play some international ball right about now — they let the game get physical there, far more pushing and grabbing. None of those silly fouls he keeps picking up in the playoffs. No more cardboard walls around Superman.
But apparently not. Howard may be the latest star to bow out of the FIBA World Championships, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
…there are indications he might forgo the World Championships in Turkey this summer in order to rest and possibly act in a movie and/or appear in a television reality show, among other things.
Howard has said publicly he would play for Team USA in the World Championships, but those close to Howard say he might be looking for a diplomatic way later to bypass playing in the tournament.
The NBA’s big names may be balking, but a lot of the young stars of the NBA — Kevin Durant, O.J. Mayo and others — are excited to get their chance. They will be the core of the team in the future (maybe even by 2012), let’s see what they can do.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30