Apr 27, 2010, 1:31 PM EDT
One would think Dwight Howard would be itching to play some international ball right about now — they let the game get physical there, far more pushing and grabbing. None of those silly fouls he keeps picking up in the playoffs. No more cardboard walls around Superman.
But apparently not. Howard may be the latest star to bow out of the FIBA World Championships, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
…there are indications he might forgo the World Championships in Turkey this summer in order to rest and possibly act in a movie and/or appear in a television reality show, among other things.
Howard has said publicly he would play for Team USA in the World Championships, but those close to Howard say he might be looking for a diplomatic way later to bypass playing in the tournament.
The NBA’s big names may be balking, but a lot of the young stars of the NBA — Kevin Durant, O.J. Mayo and others — are excited to get their chance. They will be the core of the team in the future (maybe even by 2012), let’s see what they can do.
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 0
- George Hill not yet cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks, remains a game-time decision 1
- Report: Bobcats changing name back to Hornets 23
- Dwyane Wade grants wish, shows up at girl’s senior prom 19
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson 58
- Live: Preakness Stakes preview show
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- Day 1 of Indy 500 Qualifying
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay