Apr 26, 2010, 9:08 AM EDT
When Larry Brown says “I don’t want to coach there” does anyone really take him at his word?
The brass of the Philadelphia 76ers doesn’t. Can’t really blame them, either.
Larry Brown has said he doesn’t want to leave Charlotte, doesn’t want to return to Philadelphia and coach the Sixers. But the brass in Philly have told the Philadelphia Inquirer that they want to talk to him anyway.
According to multiple sources, the 76ers will almost certainly contact coach Larry Brown after the Charlotte Bobcats are eliminated from the playoffs.
The Sixers will likely discuss their coaching vacancy with Brown, who this season led the Bobcats to their first-ever playoff appearance, but it’s possible that the Sixers also could discuss a front-office position, according to the same sources.
Brown said before that he does not want to coach anywhere but Charlotte, working with fellow Tar Heel Michael Jordan. Plus, he just led the Bobcats to their first-ever playoffs, and while they are about to get crushed by Orlando, that is still a huge achievement. It would be hard to walk away from that.
But a front office job for the 70-year-old Brown might be very tempting.
Ed Stefanski is still the president and general managers for the Sixers. But he is also the guy that handcuffed this franchise with the Elton Brand contract and hired failed coach Eddie Jordan last year. There have been rumors for a long time that Stefanski is at risk of being fired.
Brown might well be a good replacement (maybe taking the job full time after coaching a couple years). Then again, in a couple years he might be ready to move on again. Such is Larry Brown.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54