Apr 26, 2010, 2:48 PM EDT
Grant Hill has had his share (and a couple other people’s shares) of ups and downs on the court over his career. But at ever stop, people rooted for him because he’s a good guy.
That was acknowledged on a national level today as Hill was awarded the NBA Sportsmanship Award (called the Joe Dumars Trophy). This is the third time he has won it.
Hill was the overall winner selected from the six division winners. The others are: Al Horford (Southeast), Boston’s Ray Allen (Atlantic), Cleveland’s Antawn Jamison (Central), Denver’s Chauncey Billups (Northwest) and Houston’s Luis Scola (Southwest).
This award is voted on the players. Who all like Hill, too.
Hill is involved with a number of charities, and for winning the award the NBA will make a $10,000 donation on his behalf to the WellCare Foundation.
The league will also make $5,000 donations to the charities of choice for the five runners up: The Ferst Foundation on behalf of Horford; Ray of Hope Foundation on behalf of Allen; Hammer and Nails and Cleveland Police Athletic League on behalf of Jamison; Porter-Billups Leadership Academy on behalf of Billups; Manu Ginobili Foundation on behalf of Scola.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead