Apr 23, 2010, 5:08 PM EST
They are selling hope in New Orleans. Team personnel are speaking glowingly of the future as the team aggressively goes after name coaches. But a dark cloud has returned over the New Orleans Hornets franchise.
The sale of the team, something considered basically a done deal, is now stalled. The Associated Press has he story:
A person familiar with negotiations says Hornets sale talks between George Shinn and minority owner Gary Chouest have reached an “impasse” and that Shinn now wants to speak with other possible buyers.
Shinn’s preference is to deal only with investors who want to keep the Hornets in New Orleans, the person told The Associated Press Friday, speaking on the condition of anonymity because Shinn and Chouest have yet to publicly discuss the sale.
Realize up front this leak could be a negotiating tactic: If you were Shinn and could not get everything you wanted, you could leak this is as a way to pressure Chouest. The same is true in reverse.
But either way, this has to out a damper on general manager Jeff Bower’s coaching search. Would you take a job where you know your boss could change — and change dramatically — in six months? The kind of high profile coaches they are reaching out to (Jeff Van Gundy, Avery Johnson, Doug Collins, Avery Johnson) are the kinds of guys with options. If they are not comfortable with the ownership situation, they may look elsewhere.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)