Apr 23, 2010, 11:33 AM EDT
Nicholas Batum did what you are supposed to do for the playoffs — play through it. In game two he injured the shoulder he has had surgery on last year, one that cause caused him to miss 45 games this season, but was able to lift it so he was able to play in game three. It’s the playoffs.
Now he appears done. He re-injured it when fouled by Jason Richardson in the second quarter Thursday; Batum left the game and did not return. After the game he had said that it “hurt a lot.” While he is officially listed as questionable, it is unlikely we will see him soon, maybe not at all during the playoffs.
Martell Webster will pick up the extra minutes and likely the start (he had 14 points but was just 6 of 15 shooting to get that). Webster had been coming off the bench because Batum was the better perimeter defender (something they could use against the Suns). Combined with the loss of Brandon Roy, the Blazers backcourt is starting to look like the frontcourt in terms of injuries.
I still am not sure what the Blazers did to offend the basketball gods so.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (76)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'