Apr 23, 2010, 8:41 AM EDT
The name Milwaukee comes from the Algonquian tribe word for “good land.” The Atlanta Hawks Josh Smith would like to disagree with that.
Taking the bait from reporters, the Hawks athletic power forward started a little war of words bound to sit poorly with Milwaukee residents, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
“There’s pretty much nothing to do,” Smith said. “Miami has some really good restaurants. I never really did anything in Milwaukee. I would be happy to just find a restaurant. I’m not bashing the city but I’ve never actually did anything in Milwaukee so I really don’t know what is around there.”
Someone picked up on the Noah thread and asked Smith if he’d be taking any vacations in Milwaukee.
“Would you go there?” Smith asked. “Everybody knows there ain’t nothing to do in Milwaukee, man. Everybody knows that, (even) the people that live there.”
Well, at least he didn’t use the word “sucks.” (Which Noah did again Thursday, without provocation.)
Hawks management loves Milwaukee, not so much because it is Milwaukee as it is not Miami. There’s a feeling that the team got a little sidetracked in the first round last year because there are so many things to do, so much potential trouble to find in Miami. While you can find trouble in Milwaukee if you want, you have to look a little harder for it. Or for just a top-flight restaurant.
- Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker shine in head-to-head Summer League matchup 11
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 46
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 38
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 80
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 18
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 36
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 48