Apr 22, 2010, 2:44 PM EST
Officiating in the NBA is an impossible task, and referees who are able to earn respect are generally seen in one of two ways:
- Opportunists whose mediocrity is rewarded by how many referees fail to do the impossible.
- Legitimately good at what they do, even if there’s a certain futility to it.
For Steve Javie, who is among the most respected referees in the league, the latter is far more appropriate. Yet a quick look into the playoff box scores reveals a shocking lack of Javie. It’s one thing for a younger official to be cycled out of the refereeing rotation come playoff time, but it’s largely assumed that come post-season, Javie will be there.
What’s the deal? How could he be benched? I dug in, just certain there must be something fascinating going on.
I was quickly directed to this notification from the NBA: “The
following officials are unavailable due to medical reasons: Steve
Javie, Violet Palmer, Joe Forte, Olandis Poole and Mark Wunderlich.”
Javie, says a league spokesperson, has been out since December 2 with a leg injury, and will not be back this season.
So apparently it’s not a new development, but just one we’ve failed to pay attention to. With so many games happening on a nightly basis during the regular season, it’s easy to understand why refereeing assignments slip through the cracks.
So riddle me this: if a renowned NBA official gets a leg injury in the middle of the regular season and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 0
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 6
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 29
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20