Apr 22, 2010, 2:44 PM EST
Officiating in the NBA is an impossible task, and referees who are able to earn respect are generally seen in one of two ways:
- Opportunists whose mediocrity is rewarded by how many referees fail to do the impossible.
- Legitimately good at what they do, even if there’s a certain futility to it.
For Steve Javie, who is among the most respected referees in the league, the latter is far more appropriate. Yet a quick look into the playoff box scores reveals a shocking lack of Javie. It’s one thing for a younger official to be cycled out of the refereeing rotation come playoff time, but it’s largely assumed that come post-season, Javie will be there.
What’s the deal? How could he be benched? I dug in, just certain there must be something fascinating going on.
I was quickly directed to this notification from the NBA: “The
following officials are unavailable due to medical reasons: Steve
Javie, Violet Palmer, Joe Forte, Olandis Poole and Mark Wunderlich.”
Javie, says a league spokesperson, has been out since December 2 with a leg injury, and will not be back this season.
So apparently it’s not a new development, but just one we’ve failed to pay attention to. With so many games happening on a nightly basis during the regular season, it’s easy to understand why refereeing assignments slip through the cracks.
So riddle me this: if a renowned NBA official gets a leg injury in the middle of the regular season and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 14
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 7
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)