Apr 22, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
The New Orleans Hornets are on it, they are knee deep in the search for a new coach. Because you want to make that decision before the draft, to get your new man involved in the scouting and drafting of a player for his system. You don’t just want it to drag out (Clippers, I’m looking at you).
Apparently Lawrence Frank, the former New Jersey Nets coach, is in the mix, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo. You remember him as the man at the helm of some good defensive/horrible offensive teams for a few years. Well, by the end of his tenure the Nets were terrible at both.
Frank is not considered the front-runner, former Mavericks coach Avery Johnson is. Johnson has was born in Louisiana, probably makes a mean gumbo and apparently has the blessing of the incoming owner. Two of those things matter a lot.
Also in the mix are Jeff Van Gundy, Mark Jackson, Tom Thibodeau, Dwane Casey and Mike Budenholzer, among others. And while it hasn’t been mentioned, we can assume that Larry Brown is in the mix as well, just because.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 45
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11