Apr 22, 2010, 12:23 AM EDT
You do realize that this was the most dominant franchise in sports 13 years ago, right? That this is the Chicago Bulls? The standard of excellence in the NBA for a decade, give or take a Jordan retirement? And now, down 0-2 to the top seed, dealing with the ramifications of their GM shoving their coach who was supposedly going to be fired five months ago, they’ve got more distractions.
ESPN Chicago is reporting that Byron Scott told a local radio program that he “wouldn’t hang up on the Bulls” if they were to call about their head coaching position. Which is currently taken. By the coach, coaching them in the playoffs.
You have to like how absolutely no one is giving the coach that has gotten them to the playoffs in consecutive seasons even a half-ass assumption he’ll be back next season. Vinny Del Negro has done a number of things wrong this season and has pretty much been in over his head since the start. At the same time, you don’t plan for the funeral before the body’s cold, and especially not when the body has to figure out a way to try and stop LeBron James.
But getting past the ridiculousness of VDN’s position and how obvious it is that Scott’s already put out feelers to see if the job will be available, how would Scott fit in in Chicago? Scott helped Chris Paul become arguably the league’s best point guard and has a healthy respect for the veterans that many feel Chicago needs to augment their young core. That said, you also have to be concerned with how quickly he lost the Hornets. This team from multiple insider accounts seems to be completely disconnected from VDN and you don’t want to just be back where you are in three years.
Either way, for as bad as Vinny Del Negro is, he’s kind of getting screwed here. Again.
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 2
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 21
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13