Apr 22, 2010, 8:46 PM EDT
Delonte West’s court date for a series of gun and traffic charges has been delayed again. It now is set for July 21, which would be well after the end of the season, which is good news for the Cavaliers in the playoffs.
Brian Windhorst had the details at the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
After a request from West’s defense attorney, West’s trial date on gun charges in suburban Washington D.C. was postponed Thursday until July 21. The trial had been scheduled to begin on Monday in Upper Marlboro, Md., after it was initially postponed from February.
Last week, West withdrew a series of pre-trial motions before Judge Michael P. Whalen, a sign West and the Maryland State’s Attorney were in plea bargain talks. Pushing the trial back, however, likely will slow that process down.
This is the latest in a series of delays for the court date, although anyone familiar with the criminal justice system knows that it is not that unusual. Multiple delays are the norm, with both sides often requesting them
Back on Sept. 17 West was riding his three-wheel motorcycle and cut off a police officer, who pulled him over and found two handguns and a shotgun. Those are all misdemeanor charges in Maryland. Since then West has been dealing with a bipolar disorder that has been a challenge to him for several years.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14