Apr 22, 2010, 8:46 PM EDT
Delonte West’s court date for a series of gun and traffic charges has been delayed again. It now is set for July 21, which would be well after the end of the season, which is good news for the Cavaliers in the playoffs.
Brian Windhorst had the details at the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
After a request from West’s defense attorney, West’s trial date on gun charges in suburban Washington D.C. was postponed Thursday until July 21. The trial had been scheduled to begin on Monday in Upper Marlboro, Md., after it was initially postponed from February.
Last week, West withdrew a series of pre-trial motions before Judge Michael P. Whalen, a sign West and the Maryland State’s Attorney were in plea bargain talks. Pushing the trial back, however, likely will slow that process down.
This is the latest in a series of delays for the court date, although anyone familiar with the criminal justice system knows that it is not that unusual. Multiple delays are the norm, with both sides often requesting them
Back on Sept. 17 West was riding his three-wheel motorcycle and cut off a police officer, who pulled him over and found two handguns and a shotgun. Those are all misdemeanor charges in Maryland. Since then West has been dealing with a bipolar disorder that has been a challenge to him for several years.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 6
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10