Apr 22, 2010, 11:08 PM EST
But in comments to the media before the Lakers/Thunder game, he admitted that Pandora’s Box is open and the toils and sickness and complaining back in the box (as reported to the Daily News in LA)
“I wish I had it to do all over again, and starting 20 years ago I would be suspending Phil and Pat Riley (then coach of the New York Knicks) for all the games they play in the media, because you guys know our referees go out there and knock themselves out doing the best job they can.
“But we have coaches who try to work them publicly and what that does is erode fan confidence and you get some of the situations we’ve had. So our coaches should be quiet because this is a good business that makes them good livings and supports a lot of families. If they don’t like it they should go get a job someplace else.”
Right, like who is going to hire Phil Jackson to sell cars?
Rather than complaining about the complaining, more transparency for the referees might help. And not the lip service and small steps we’ve seen, but real transparency.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 6
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 11
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 4
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 13
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 14
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (38)