Apr 22, 2010, 11:08 PM EDT
But in comments to the media before the Lakers/Thunder game, he admitted that Pandora’s Box is open and the toils and sickness and complaining back in the box (as reported to the Daily News in LA)
“I wish I had it to do all over again, and starting 20 years ago I would be suspending Phil and Pat Riley (then coach of the New York Knicks) for all the games they play in the media, because you guys know our referees go out there and knock themselves out doing the best job they can.
“But we have coaches who try to work them publicly and what that does is erode fan confidence and you get some of the situations we’ve had. So our coaches should be quiet because this is a good business that makes them good livings and supports a lot of families. If they don’t like it they should go get a job someplace else.”
Right, like who is going to hire Phil Jackson to sell cars?
Rather than complaining about the complaining, more transparency for the referees might help. And not the lip service and small steps we’ve seen, but real transparency.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 8
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 23
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 8
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 101
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'