Apr 21, 2010, 3:13 AM EDT
It was a no-win situation for Phoenix tonight. Lose, and they’re down 0-2 headed to the Rose Garden, facing a very real chance of being swept. Win, and they still can’t erase the poor performance they gave in Game 1. So the only real option is to win a no-decision by blowing the Blazers out of the water, off the map, into the void. And that’s exactly what they did.
You can point to Jason Richardson with 29 points on 16 shots. You can throw it at the feet of Steve Nash with 16 assists. But the real hero tonight for the Suns? Grant Hill. The old man came through in every possible way tonight, in what may have been the best performance of the last five years of his career.
Hill was 10-11 for 20 points, with 8 rebounds, a block, and zero turnovers. But his biggest contribution was in all the little ways that really changes a game. He contained Andre Miller, and when Miller did get by him, his team had man-help defense (gasp) to close things off. He drew charges. He brought consistency and confidence. He was a pro among amateurs on both sides of the ball.
Which is not to say that Steve Nash didn’t play brilliantly. It was one of those nights where Nash could get whatever pass he wanted. The Blazers just didn’t have it.
The Blazers likely don’t care. They got what they wanted, home court advantage back. The question will be how Nate McMillan adjusts to the adjustments of Gentry and what they do to free LaMarcus Aldridge, who was often swarmed high as soon as he got the ball. The Suns may not be a good defensive team, but they can get it done if they’re all locked in. Too bad for Phoenix they’re 1-1 in locked-in-ness in this series.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4