Apr 20, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Carlos Delfino cannot play the four.
Let’s just get that out there right away, so we’re all comfortable. The Bucks for reasons beyond belief tried to put Delfino on Josh Smith at the power forward spot and it was an outright disaster. Using Synergy Sports (which released their public version today), we can tell you that Smith went to the post six times on Delfino, and was able to get position each time. Smith only converted 2 of those six opportunities, but I can assure you, the ball touched the inside of the rim more on two of those attempts than the outside. Delfino is simply at too much of a disadvantage inside.
The Bucks’ offense wasn’t really the problem, it was defensively that they seemed to get hung at certain times. They can correct that issue by going with a bigger lineup. According to 82games.com, the best lineup for the Bucks without Andrew Bogut features Ridnour-Stackhouse-Salmons-Ilyasova-Thomas. The second best is the one that has the best chance against the Hawks tonight: Jennings-Salmons-Delfino-Ilyasova-Thomas. It’s this lineup that combats the Hawks’ strengths most effectively.
The Hawks might want to even go so far as putting Salmons at the three defensively and having Delfino play at the 2. In Game 1, Joe Johnson didn’t work in the areas that would give Delfino problems, and his length would probably make for a better matchup and help to keep Johnson off the offensive glass. Salmons would then be left to guard Marvin Williams, who isn’t a vital part of the Hawks’ offense and is unlikely to have the ball moved much through him.
Which leaves Ilyasova to counteract Smith. Smith is still the more athletic of the two, but Ilyasova’s instincts, rebounding and range could help to quarantine the damage a little bit. It’s all these little things the Bucks can do which might lead to them being able to even the series.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 11
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 44
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11