Apr 20, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT
Carlos Delfino cannot play the four.
Let’s just get that out there right away, so we’re all comfortable. The Bucks for reasons beyond belief tried to put Delfino on Josh Smith at the power forward spot and it was an outright disaster. Using Synergy Sports (which released their public version today), we can tell you that Smith went to the post six times on Delfino, and was able to get position each time. Smith only converted 2 of those six opportunities, but I can assure you, the ball touched the inside of the rim more on two of those attempts than the outside. Delfino is simply at too much of a disadvantage inside.
The Bucks’ offense wasn’t really the problem, it was defensively that they seemed to get hung at certain times. They can correct that issue by going with a bigger lineup. According to 82games.com, the best lineup for the Bucks without Andrew Bogut features Ridnour-Stackhouse-Salmons-Ilyasova-Thomas. The second best is the one that has the best chance against the Hawks tonight: Jennings-Salmons-Delfino-Ilyasova-Thomas. It’s this lineup that combats the Hawks’ strengths most effectively.
The Hawks might want to even go so far as putting Salmons at the three defensively and having Delfino play at the 2. In Game 1, Joe Johnson didn’t work in the areas that would give Delfino problems, and his length would probably make for a better matchup and help to keep Johnson off the offensive glass. Salmons would then be left to guard Marvin Williams, who isn’t a vital part of the Hawks’ offense and is unlikely to have the ball moved much through him.
Which leaves Ilyasova to counteract Smith. Smith is still the more athletic of the two, but Ilyasova’s instincts, rebounding and range could help to quarantine the damage a little bit. It’s all these little things the Bucks can do which might lead to them being able to even the series.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 13
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20