Apr 20, 2010, 9:57 AM EDT
Dwight Howard was swatting shots in game one like King Kong on top of the Empire State building swatting planes. In game one he had nine blocks, eight of those in the first half. He owned the paint.
“He’s a shot blocker. We’re a team that attacks the rim. You put those two together, somebody has to win. Obviously he did a great job with nine blocks but I don’t think that stopped us from attacking the basket. His nine blocks didn’t affect the way we attacked the rim or the way we got to the basket. I think our main thing is we gotta keep doing it. He had nine blocks, but he had 5, 6 fouls too, right? So we can’t back away from attacking the basket. We gotta keep going…
“We’re going to keep going at him and we’re going to attack him. If he ends up with 20 blocks, he ends up with 20 blocks. He’s going to have to work for his 20 blocks. We don’t have anybody on this team that’s afraid to attack the basket and go at him. We’re not going to just let him think he’s the bully he’s the factor up under the basket, because he’s not. We play above the rim just like he does. Somebody has to win.”
So far, Dwight Howard is winning. He wins these battles a lot. But with the Bobcats offense, or lack thereof, they have no choice but to keep going inside looking for the high-percentage shot.
Somebody has to win.
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 4
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 16
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 16
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 17
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 71
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (71)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay