Apr 20, 2010, 9:19 AM EDT
Yesterday we talked about the Milwaukee Bucks wanting to lock up John Salmons and trying to negotiate an extension for him. Of course they want to extend him, the Bucks have been a much-improved team since Salmons filled the shoes of the injured Michael Redd. They have been better than when Redd was playing, their offense is more balanced.
But Salmons may not feel the same way, at least according to Gery Woelfel of the Milwaukee Journal-Times.
The Bucks are seriously attempting to extend Salmons’ contract before possibly losing him to free agency this summer. But I’m hearing Salmons wants to test the free-agent waters and have the choice of playing where he wants to play the next couple of seasons.
This could be just negotiations — Salmons agent leaks his client wants to test the open waters of free agency in an effort to get the Bucks to offer more money. Or, it could be he really does want to pick his landing spot. Considering that Salmons has been traded at the deadline the last two seasons, he may have an idea of where he wants to play and who for.
Either way, Salmons staying with the Bucks is far from a sure thing.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 9
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 6
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 10
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 16
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 7
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 42
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4