Apr 20, 2010, 2:18 PM EDT
Jeff Bower has had his taste of poetic justice, and now is returning to his traditional role.
The Hornets General Manager will give up his coaching duties and return to the front office as GM, according to ESPN’s Marc Stein. He will lead the search for the next Hornets coach (which we assume must be approved by Chris Paul, or at least should be if their goal is to keep him after this contract). The incoming owner for the team has stated his goal is to keep Paul and rebuild around him. Smart man. Bower now needs to execute said plan.
Bower fired Byron Scott after a 3-6 start and was pushed down to the bench to coach, having to try to make the mismatched roster he created work. They went 34-39 under him. Granted he had to deal with some serious injuries, like being without Paul for an extended stretch, but Bower didn’t wow anybody with his game management skills. He was nice, but not great.
Hopefully he understands better now that until Peja Stojakovic’s deal can be moved and the roster reshaped, no coach is going to have fantastic success with the Hornets. However, some health and a return to focusing on defense could return New Orleans to the playoffs next season.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 10
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 17
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 13
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP