Apr 19, 2010, 11:57 AM EDT
This news should be almost expected, coming on the heels of David Stern saying that next year’s salary cap would be higher than expected — you all kept going to games.
According to the Sports Business Journal, attendance at games this year was off only slightly.
The NBA closes its 2009-10 regular season with more than $1 billion in gate revenue, down single digits from last year but less than the roughly $100 million drop in gate revenue the league had predicted.
League wide average attendance fell 2 percent to 17,165 fans per game. Television ratings during the regular season were flat on ABC and ESPN and up on TNT.
Overall NBA revenue is expected to exceed $3.5 billion, of which roughly one-third is derived from the league’s gate revenue.
The league wasn’t giving out specific revenue loss numbers, but it had warned previously to prepare for a big drop in gate revenue. But despite ticket discounts and worries of attendance falling off, things were just off slightly.
Sponsorship was another concern — that is a key revenue source for teams. But the number of new sponsorship deals increased by seven percent.
All showing that while things are not great financially for the league, the doom-and-gloom scenarios did not pan out. Things are not that bad. Something the Players Association will be sure to mention during the upcoming Collective Bargaining Agreement talks.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40