Apr 19, 2010, 8:36 AM EDT
Michael Redd who?
We kind of forgot about the All-Star sharpshooter the way the Milwaukee Bucks finished off the season so well, but Redd is under contract with the team. He had knee surgery again this season and hasn’t been around the team during his rehab.
In his place, John Salmons has come in and just killed it. He averaged 20 points a game and as a sign of his overall game had a PER of 17.6 (well above the league average of 15). According to Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Bucks are negotiating to keep Salmons around next season.
He said the Bucks are “quietly negotiating” a two or three year extension to keep Salmons in a Bucks uniform.
Redd has an $18.3 million player option for next season, the last year of his current deal. He is 31 and has now blown out his knee twice, so he’s not going to get paid elsewhere and is going to pick up that option, but Hunt suggests the Bucks may not want him around.
Although he has that massive option for next season, my guess is he’ll never play for the Bucks again. Even if he successfully rehabs from a second major knee surgery at age 31, it’s possible he could continue to stay away by mutual unspoken consent until the Bucks try to unload what might become a desirable salary slot at the next trading deadline in February. With the Tracy McGrady case, there is precedence…
If Salmons stays, Redd, who was once the face of the franchise, would be put in the awkward spot of returning as an $18 million backup, That’s because it has become abundantly clear that the Bucks, as paradoxical as it might sound, are a better team without their 20-point scorer. One trademark of the surprising 2009-’10 Bucks is that the ball has found a variety of scorers. The ball has moved better without Redd on the floor, and that is to say nothing of the record with and without Redd these last two years.
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 4
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 30
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 10
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34