Apr 16, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
It was a disappointing season for New Orleans, even before Chris Paul got injured. A team a couple years ago was THE up and coming team to fear is very pedestrian now. About as scary as a kitten. Just 37 wins will do that.
Chris Paul doesn’t like that. David West doesn’t like that. They want changes and told the Times Picayune just that.
“I don’t think anybody can feel they are an untouchable,” West said. “I thought what we had this year just wasn’t good enough to stay in the hunt, even with the injuries. I think the only thing to do is to look at improving the roster.”
“What we did this year, obviously didn’t work,” Paul said. “So there is definitely going to be a little change. We’ve got to get better all around. Hopefully, we’ll do pretty well in the draft and we’ve got to get healthy.”
Healthy matters, Paul missed 37 games this season. But changes are coming to the Hornets, top to bottom. A sale of the team to Gary Chouest as a new owner is at the top, and that will mean changes down the line.
Part of that will be a new coach. This was a team that did not stick to game plans, did not exploit mismatches, simply did not execute well. They fired Byron Scott at the start of the season in part because of that, whoever comes in next needs to bring some execution with them.
However, the biggest changes to the roster will be harder to pull off. The move may be to move Peja Stojakovic. He is a nice player, but one getting paid big star money — $15 million next season. But it is the last year of his deal, which means either this summer or at the trading deadline they may be able to move him for a player and/or picks. They may be able to do some addition by subtraction.
The Hornets found they have some good young talent — Darren Collison, Marcus Thornton — to go with Paul and West. A couple other little moves, a little better execution, and the Hornets will have some sting again. Strike some fear into opponents again.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 40
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4