Apr 16, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Isn’t speculation about the Lakers fun? Let’s play that game a little. Here’s the rumor: Jerry Buss never liked the slow triangle offense, he wants Showtime. He doesn’t like paying Phil Jackson $12 million a year. He doesn’t like the fact the coach is schtupping his daughter…
Ergo, if Phil Jackson doesn’t win a title this season, Jerry Buss is going to lowball Jackson on a contract renewal for ext season, if he offers him one at all. They are going to drive Jackson away.
“…I’m not sure that has anything to do with it. A coach doesn’t forget how to coach in one season. … His body of work speaks for itself… If we don’t perform well this year, my guess it’s likely due to [having] a team that’s been injured or [one that] maybe runs into a team that’s really, really hot, so I’m not really concerned that will be an issue.””My understanding is that if Phil wanted to come back and coach next year … then he would be embraced to come back and coach for another season…”
That’s not much fun, is it? It seems so logical. Let’s start speculating again.
Oddly, a lot of the “Jackson will get screwed” rumors come from the Jeanie/Phil camp. Think of it as a preemptive strike, get the Lakers fans riled up about Jackson possibly leaving, get the public behind him and public pressure saves Jackson like he was a television show about to be canceled then saved by a letter writing campaign. Then there is the whole Jim Buss/Jeanie Buss dynamic and power play people love to speculate about.
None of that makes it true. Jerry Buss is about winning first, and Phil Jackson wins. He’s always paid for winners. Secondly, Buss brought back Jackson after the Rudy Tomjanovich disaster year, and paid handsomely to do it, because he knew that would settle down an angry fan base. With everything set up for the championship window to be open a few more years, messing with that would anger the fan base again — and Buss knows it. Driving out Jackson would get the same reaction as trading Gasol.
Plus, the Lakers still turn a profit each year. In the end, money and winning speak. Expect Jackson to return.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23