Apr 15, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
Spurs fans aren’t very fond of Richard Jefferson. It’s not outright dislike in the Raptors fans and Hedo Turkoglu sense. It’s more disappointment that turns into seething frustration when they realize they are stuck with him for at least another season (unless he bails them out by opting out).
Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford, who signed Jefferson, was not glowing but more understanding than the average Spurs fan when discussing on KTKA in San Antonio how Jefferson has fit in.
“I think it’s hard to answer that question because there are so many things that have been difficult to get a consistent read on. The health of Manu, the health of Tony (Parker), the consistency of our entire team’s play has been difficult for anybody to come in and get a real comfort level. Having said that, I think Richard has played more good games lately than poor games. I think that the health of everybody else and the play of everybody else is going to help in that respect.”
For the Spurs, things are really judged on playoff success. There are banners hanging over the court to remind everyone of that. Jefferson has been a disappointment during the regular season, but he can salvage a lot of that with a big playoff performance. Particularly knocking off the Mavericks in the first round.
But most likely, that series will just lead to more disappointment and frustration.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61