Kevin Durant calls Phil Jackson "disrespectful"

Apr 15, 2010, 10:34 AM EDT

durant.jpgWe reported yesterday how Phil Jackson has already started working the referees in the Lakers/Thunder series by doing his best Kevin Garnett imitation and complaining about all the calls Kevin Durant gets. You know, like the ones Kobe Bryant gets.

Kevin Durant told the Oklahoman he did not find this so funny.

“Because it’s taking away from what I do,” Durant said. “That’s a part of my game, getting to the free-throw line and being aggressive. If you say that I get superstar calls or I get babied by the refs, that’s just taking away from how I play. That’s disrespectful to me.

Durant gets those calls because he is aggressive, he is the guy with the ball and he attacks the rim. If he gets some superstar calls, that’s because he’s an emerging superstar.

Jackson’s plan was really two-fold. One was to plant a seed in the minds of referees. Usually playoff games are allowed to be a little more physical than a regular season game, but Jackson would like a lot more physical. He will put Ron Artest on Durant, and the more physical he can be the better.

The second part of it is the Lakers can be a whiny team — players standing and complaining to referees about a no call rather than getting back on defense. Jackson wants his team to start playing through those calls.

Durant said Jackson’s tactics should not work.

“If the refs pay attention to that and change how they call things because of that, that’s terrible,” Durant said. “That’s terrible to the game of basketball and to us. If that happens, then (coach) Scotty (Brooks) could talk, too. Or any other coach could talk, too, just so the refs could switch everything up. But I doubt they do that.

1. Cut Above - Apr 15, 2010 at 7:15 PM

The Lakers are great and confident. I hope they play that way because the Thunder are out to make a statement! Lakers will have to work for this series but should also win the series.

2. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Apr 15, 2010 at 8:39 PM

I expect the Lakers to get this series…
    … but not without a good fight. If the Thunder do get to be swept, each game would be close games.

3. luffy - Apr 19, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Too young to be in the playoffs, next year perhaps the thunders could reach 2nd round, there’s still too much to learn…
    Perhaps when Kobe leaves LA, the Lakers could get KD and he could be the next big thing to continue the Lakers dynasty…

4. Anonymous - Apr 24, 2010 at 9:56 PM

I love this post. I’m a magic fan all the way, but OK city can’t be ignored.

5. DBCooper - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:24 PM

No they DID NOT have to pick Oden. Played 1 year (injured most of the year) of college, not very athletic, lumbers up & down the court, cannot catch a pass without total concentration. He was the worst choice since Sam & I noticed how mediocre he was BEFORE he started breaking every bone in his legs.
    I’m a die-hard blazers fan, but Oden was a poor choice!

6. Jerry Heasley - Apr 30, 2010 at 9:27 PM

Durant– he should sweep his shot through Arests hands and get teh fouil when Artest plays in his face.

7. Scott - May 10, 2010 at 9:19 PM

? crazy reply to a good point. bitter much?

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches