Apr 15, 2010, 1:26 PM EST
The Celtics success in 2008 was based around Ubuntu. It was about team first. Unity and chemistry making the whole better than the sum of the parts. Got them another banner.
On the court, the Celtics clearly do not look the same. Do their problems extend into the locker room, is it fractured? Boston Globe reporter Gary Washburn said yes.
The Celtics’ locker room is fractured. There are the old schoolers (Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Michael Finley), the Sheed crew (Wallace, Robinson, and Daniels), and the future stars (Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins), while the rest bounce from group to group.
But Doc Rivers called that, um, hogwash.
“It’s not [accurate]. There clearly are groups that hang out with each other more than other groups, but that’s no different. Why does that have to be negative? It’s ridiculous. … Come on, guys, that’s just silly talk, and a [reporter] looking for something. Usually you hang out with your age group, there’s no difference in that. Usually, you hang out with guys personality-wise that you match. Larry Bird and Kevin McHale didn’t go out together. So I guess they didn’t like each other. That’s just silly. That’s just looking for stuff and stirring the pot.”
The Celtics might night have that same Ubuntu spirit, but who cares if they are hanging out together at the same clubs after the game? The question is if they can play together well, and right now the Celtics are not doing that as well as fans or the team itself expects. And Dwyane Wade is not going to make that any easier starting Saturday.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13