Apr 15, 2010, 1:26 PM EST
The Celtics success in 2008 was based around Ubuntu. It was about team first. Unity and chemistry making the whole better than the sum of the parts. Got them another banner.
On the court, the Celtics clearly do not look the same. Do their problems extend into the locker room, is it fractured? Boston Globe reporter Gary Washburn said yes.
The Celtics’ locker room is fractured. There are the old schoolers (Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Michael Finley), the Sheed crew (Wallace, Robinson, and Daniels), and the future stars (Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins), while the rest bounce from group to group.
But Doc Rivers called that, um, hogwash.
“It’s not [accurate]. There clearly are groups that hang out with each other more than other groups, but that’s no different. Why does that have to be negative? It’s ridiculous. … Come on, guys, that’s just silly talk, and a [reporter] looking for something. Usually you hang out with your age group, there’s no difference in that. Usually, you hang out with guys personality-wise that you match. Larry Bird and Kevin McHale didn’t go out together. So I guess they didn’t like each other. That’s just silly. That’s just looking for stuff and stirring the pot.”
The Celtics might night have that same Ubuntu spirit, but who cares if they are hanging out together at the same clubs after the game? The question is if they can play together well, and right now the Celtics are not doing that as well as fans or the team itself expects. And Dwyane Wade is not going to make that any easier starting Saturday.
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 15
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 9
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 20
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 25
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8