Apr 15, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
The Celtics success in 2008 was based around Ubuntu. It was about team first. Unity and chemistry making the whole better than the sum of the parts. Got them another banner.
On the court, the Celtics clearly do not look the same. Do their problems extend into the locker room, is it fractured? Boston Globe reporter Gary Washburn said yes.
The Celtics’ locker room is fractured. There are the old schoolers (Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen, and Michael Finley), the Sheed crew (Wallace, Robinson, and Daniels), and the future stars (Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins), while the rest bounce from group to group.
But Doc Rivers called that, um, hogwash.
“It’s not [accurate]. There clearly are groups that hang out with each other more than other groups, but that’s no different. Why does that have to be negative? It’s ridiculous. … Come on, guys, that’s just silly talk, and a [reporter] looking for something. Usually you hang out with your age group, there’s no difference in that. Usually, you hang out with guys personality-wise that you match. Larry Bird and Kevin McHale didn’t go out together. So I guess they didn’t like each other. That’s just silly. That’s just looking for stuff and stirring the pot.”
The Celtics might night have that same Ubuntu spirit, but who cares if they are hanging out together at the same clubs after the game? The question is if they can play together well, and right now the Celtics are not doing that as well as fans or the team itself expects. And Dwyane Wade is not going to make that any easier starting Saturday.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10