Apr 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
The basketball gods are not just frowning on Portland, they are going Book of Job on them.
There had been hopes that Brandon Roy could return for part of the playoffs, but that seems out the door on reports by Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski that he will have surgery to repair the meniscus tear in right knee.
Officially, the team is saying he is out only for the Phoenix series. First off, without Roy it’s hard to picture the Blazers having a series after the Suns. Tempo is going to be one of the biggest telltales in this series — Portland plays at the slowest pace of any team in the league, the Suns one of the fastest. Without Roy to settle down and control the Blazers offense, it’s more likely they will get sucked into the Suns game. If they do they lose, Portland needs to be slow and physical. It’s Andre Miller versus Steve Nash at point guard, and that is a big advantage for Phoenix. The Blazers are going to try to be physical but they need to hope they get refs who let them play that way. Things will be tough for the Blazers in this one without Roy.
But if they do win, it’s still not likely he is back for future rounds. Fast healers take a month to get over this surgery, a few more weeks to get up to speed. That would mean returning deep in the playoffs and being up to speed for the Finals.
It’s much more likely he’ll hit the ground running next season.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31