Apr 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EST
The basketball gods are not just frowning on Portland, they are going Book of Job on them.
There had been hopes that Brandon Roy could return for part of the playoffs, but that seems out the door on reports by Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski that he will have surgery to repair the meniscus tear in right knee.
Officially, the team is saying he is out only for the Phoenix series. First off, without Roy it’s hard to picture the Blazers having a series after the Suns. Tempo is going to be one of the biggest telltales in this series — Portland plays at the slowest pace of any team in the league, the Suns one of the fastest. Without Roy to settle down and control the Blazers offense, it’s more likely they will get sucked into the Suns game. If they do they lose, Portland needs to be slow and physical. It’s Andre Miller versus Steve Nash at point guard, and that is a big advantage for Phoenix. The Blazers are going to try to be physical but they need to hope they get refs who let them play that way. Things will be tough for the Blazers in this one without Roy.
But if they do win, it’s still not likely he is back for future rounds. Fast healers take a month to get over this surgery, a few more weeks to get up to speed. That would mean returning deep in the playoffs and being up to speed for the Finals.
It’s much more likely he’ll hit the ground running next season.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 1
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 8
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)