Apr 15, 2010, 9:02 PM EDT
The basketball gods are not just frowning on Portland, they are going Book of Job on them.
There had been hopes that Brandon Roy could return for part of the playoffs, but that seems out the door on reports by Yahoo’s Adrian Wojnarowski that he will have surgery to repair the meniscus tear in right knee.
Officially, the team is saying he is out only for the Phoenix series. First off, without Roy it’s hard to picture the Blazers having a series after the Suns. Tempo is going to be one of the biggest telltales in this series — Portland plays at the slowest pace of any team in the league, the Suns one of the fastest. Without Roy to settle down and control the Blazers offense, it’s more likely they will get sucked into the Suns game. If they do they lose, Portland needs to be slow and physical. It’s Andre Miller versus Steve Nash at point guard, and that is a big advantage for Phoenix. The Blazers are going to try to be physical but they need to hope they get refs who let them play that way. Things will be tough for the Blazers in this one without Roy.
But if they do win, it’s still not likely he is back for future rounds. Fast healers take a month to get over this surgery, a few more weeks to get up to speed. That would mean returning deep in the playoffs and being up to speed for the Finals.
It’s much more likely he’ll hit the ground running next season.
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 1
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 12
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 5
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 9
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final