Apr 14, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
The best part of Larry Brown, coaching vagabond, is that wherever he is that day is the place he’s convinced will be the last stop on the tour. He’s really into serial monogamy.
And today he loves Charlotte. Despite the rather odd rumor that he would be coming to fill the soon-to-be vacant coaching spot for the Sixers, he told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he is not leaving the Bobcats and his fellow North Carolinian Michael Jordan.
Brown told The Inquirer on Tuesday that he has no desire to coach anywhere but for Michael Jordan in Charlotte. Brown has six grandchildren who live in North Carolina, but his wife and two school-age children live on the Main Line in suburban Philadelphia, and Brown admitted that he misses being involved in their day-to-day life during the season…
“We’re getting ready for the playoffs,” Brown said. “I love my team. I love coaching. I’m 70 years old. I want to coach for Michael Jordan. That’s where I’m at. I’m happy here.
“It’s no fun being away from my family and [wife] Shelly. That’s always going to be the case. But I love what I’m doing.”
Just to further put out this fire, Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider — the real power with the Sixers — says they have not asked permission to talk to Brown.
Let’s not kid ourselves, Brown might well leave MJ and Carolina for a better gig. But Philly is not a better gig. Both teams have some talent on the roster, but the Bobcats have a little more flexibility. The Sixers are stuck because of Elton Brand’s bloated contract. They are stuck in the mud.
Plus, Charlotte is about to go to the playoffs for the first time ever. How can you walk away from that?
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 0
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 3
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 6
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)