Apr 14, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
The best part of Larry Brown, coaching vagabond, is that wherever he is that day is the place he’s convinced will be the last stop on the tour. He’s really into serial monogamy.
And today he loves Charlotte. Despite the rather odd rumor that he would be coming to fill the soon-to-be vacant coaching spot for the Sixers, he told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he is not leaving the Bobcats and his fellow North Carolinian Michael Jordan.
Brown told The Inquirer on Tuesday that he has no desire to coach anywhere but for Michael Jordan in Charlotte. Brown has six grandchildren who live in North Carolina, but his wife and two school-age children live on the Main Line in suburban Philadelphia, and Brown admitted that he misses being involved in their day-to-day life during the season…
“We’re getting ready for the playoffs,” Brown said. “I love my team. I love coaching. I’m 70 years old. I want to coach for Michael Jordan. That’s where I’m at. I’m happy here.
“It’s no fun being away from my family and [wife] Shelly. That’s always going to be the case. But I love what I’m doing.”
Just to further put out this fire, Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider — the real power with the Sixers — says they have not asked permission to talk to Brown.
Let’s not kid ourselves, Brown might well leave MJ and Carolina for a better gig. But Philly is not a better gig. Both teams have some talent on the roster, but the Bobcats have a little more flexibility. The Sixers are stuck because of Elton Brand’s bloated contract. They are stuck in the mud.
Plus, Charlotte is about to go to the playoffs for the first time ever. How can you walk away from that?
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28