Apr 14, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
If you take the best chefs in the world, then tell them they have to cook a gourmet meal from food they find in a gas station market, you are going to get some crap to eat. You cannot change the hand you are dealt.
We have no idea if John Kuester is a good coach. Hard to tell with the injury-riddled roster he had in Detroit.
But Kuester is going to get one more chance to prove he can do something with this roster, according to Vince Ellis at the Detroit Free Press.
He was pretty much guaranteed a second season when president of basketball operations Joe Dumars declared at Kuester’s introductory news conference that the Pistons were in a rebuilding stage and could afford to roll with the first-time head coach.
The Pistons are going to spend the off-season trying to improve — not seeking their fourth coach in four seasons.
Rip Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince both missed significant time this season. The Pistons had a nice start without them, but eventually in the NBA talent wins out, and Detroit was lacking.
The Pistons have played better the last few weeks, starting when Kuester started calling guys out and yanking minutes. His hands were tied for much of the season due to injuries, but lately he has done things like pull Austin Daye when he makes mistakes. Which is a lot. Of course, there was the big incident calling out Charlie Villanueva.
He’s going to need to keep doing that, keep holding players accountable, next season. That and make an offering to the basketball gods to spare the Pistons so many injuries.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 18
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 25
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31