Apr 14, 2010, 8:31 PM EDT
“Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Tim Duncan are totally going to play. 100%. Yup. Going to get some work in. You just wait. No changes to the starting lineup. “
The Spurs and Mavericks are likely to meet in the first round starting this weekend, and as such, Gregg Popovich decided to mess with the Mavericks a bit. Instead of just pulling his starters well before the game, like you would figure he would, Popovich listed the Big 3 in the starting lineup. Right up until about five minutes before game time, at which point he scratched them and George Hill, DeJuan Blair, and Roger Mason Jr. joined the starters.
The Spurs could still move up with a win and a Portland loss to Golden State, but, well, you know. Golden State rabble rabble no defense yakety schmakety, couldn’t stop a stiff breeze with the Great Wall of China, yada yada.
So instead the Spurs elected to tweak the Mavs, just a bit, and then concede. It shows confidence on one hand, to be fine with facing the Mavericks who eliminated them last year in the playoffs. But if Popovich’s previous comments are any indication, he’s just happy it’s not LA waiting for him this weekend.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games