Doc Rivers may step down as Boston Celtics coach after season

Apr 14, 2010, 8:44 AM EST

It’s not easy coaching in Boston, where a 50-win season and a four seed in the playoffs is considered a failure by many. The glow from the 2008 title has worn off and fans are angry with everyone from the bench players to the owner.

Doc Rivers may have had enough of it and told the Boston Herald he is considering walking away after the playoffs end. While often the “to spend more time with his family” line is a cover up, in Rivers case it would be serious.

“Part of it is true,” Rivers said of the speculation. “Every year I sit down in the middle of the summer and I have a family discussion. We talk about what we want to do. That’s nothing new, but every year it gets stronger and stronger. And I think people are making some common sense reads. I’ve got three seniors next year, two in college and one in high school. That’s important to me. We’re all family men. We all have kids.

“Every year you’ve got to weigh what’s best for your kids. That’s just the way it is. But, I don’t get into it now. I don’t talk about it. I’ve never told anyone one way or the other, and that’s how it’s always been.”

Rivers has a son who plays basketball for Indiana and is a senior this coming season, as is his daughter, a volleyball player at Florida. His youngest son is a highly-recruited high school basketball player.

Rivers has one more year on his contract. Celtics General Manager brought up the idea of an extension to his deal, but Rivers put him off until after the season.

“The one I will say is I’m committed to Boston,” Rivers said. “It’s either stay with the Celtics or I decide I need to stay more with the family.”

The Celtics are at a crossroads. Ray Allen is a free agent, and Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce have looked slowed this season. Most likely the Celtics will try to lure or trade for more talent and make another title run. That may or may not work — depends on who they bring in — but it will be a short-term fix. A day of reckoning and rebuilding is coming to Boston.

Doc Rivers may not be part of that.

1. sguy2130 - Apr 14, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Great news, now if only Stan Van Gundy would do the same we would be spared of constant crying and whining on the sidelines along with terribly annoying ‘WIRED’ segments.

2. Harry Hoops - Apr 14, 2010 at 12:12 PM

They remind me of a tire that has been patched too many times. They can’t stop the air from hissing out of their ’08 championship lineup. At some point their going to have to buy a new bike! Their winning ugly these days. They genuinely seemed to be straining to beat middling teams, instead of in years past where they would slip a little just on account of how poor the competition was. Then again, more than most clubs, they have had the ability to elevate their play during the playoffs. Doc should stick around for a little while longer and see if they can ugly their way to another title.

3. Drew - Apr 14, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I think the longer rest between games will benefit the Celtics in the playoffs, but I just don’t think they have enough to beat almost anyone except the bottom two teams in the East. I like the Heat to pull the upset in seven games and the rebuilding process starts next year.

4. 15rings - Apr 14, 2010 at 3:39 PM

This Celtic incarnation is basically done (though I do think they’ll make it to the 2nd round). Overall trading for KG was a ‘1 n done’ endeavor, but for Celt fans ’08 was all worth it. Good thing they’ll have to wait another 22 years for a title; hopefully by then the Lakers will have tied/surpassed their 17 titles…

5. Kobe - Apr 14, 2010 at 4:40 PM

HAHAHA…the excuses starts already. It was a miracle when they won in 08, and it will be another miracle if they make it past the first round.

6. F-Oscar - Apr 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Doc River leaving Boston will be a shame!
    The Celtics may not be a contender for a while once he leaves.
    And I love those Big Three and Rondo!..we’ll see!

7. Anonymous - Jun 18, 2010 at 12:24 AM

i loved this years celtics team with Rondo, Pierce, Garnett and hope the team stays together for future season.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches