Apr 14, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT
The NBA is a family-first organization. So naturally, when Del Curry, former NBAer and current Bobcats broadcaster empowered with an award ballot, had a chance to vote for Steph Curry, his son, as the rookie of the year, they removed his ability to put family first. Hyuk-hyuk-hyuk.
From the Associated Press:
NBA spokesman Tim Frank says Dell Curry will be allowed to vote for all
the other postseason awards, but the league did not want to put him in
an awkward position with the rookie award.
…Franks says the league will replace Curry with another voter who covers the Bobcats, but has not picked a replacement yet.
HOW DARE THEY?! WHAT OF DEMOCRACY?! WHAT OF AMERICA?! WHAT OF FREEDOM?!?!
Honestly though, this isn’t a huge deal…it’s just very weird. Now, it’s one thing entirely if Curry asked that the ballot be given to someone else, which is possible albeit completely conjecture. Otherwise, what’s the point? Removing Curry’s vote seems to imply that biases don’t exist within media members around the league, which couldn’t be further from the truth. Do we honestly think that Bob Fitzgerald and Jim Barnett, Golden State’s TV broadcast crew, will be voting for anyone other than Stephen Curry for Rookie of the Year? Or is it that those two are trusted to do their job despite their leanings, while Curry is not?
I’m not quite certain that being a broadcaster for Steph Curry’s team and being his father are the same thing, but this move by the NBA is a bit odd, regardless.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 57
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59