Apr 14, 2010, 7:12 PM EDT
Sell high. Strike when the iron’s hot. There are about 245,000 other clichés I can put here about taking advantage of an opportunity.
Butler’s Gordon Hayward understands that, and understands that after Butler’s run and near NCAA title, he’s never going to be a hotter commodity. So he is entering the NBA draft, the Indianapolis Star confirmed.
“I have decided to declare for this June’s NBA draft,” Hayward said in a statement released by the school. “At the present time, I have not signed with an agent. I’m looking forward to further exploring my options in the NBA, while finishing this semester strongly in the classroom.”
PBT profiled Hayward before the NCAA Tournament, including talking to DraftExpress.com’s Assistant Director of Scouting Joe Treutlein, who gave us these comments
“Gordon Hayward is an interesting guy in the late first round, and could provide huge value to a team with a system his skills are well suited for. Hayward has a very high basketball IQ, is a deceptively good athlete, and has outstanding shooting mechanics with NBA three-point range. His percentages from three have fallen off considerably this season (down from 45% to 30%), but he’s still near elite from the free throw line (84%) and there’s little reason to believe his shot won’t come around eventually. He’s also a surprisingly good finisher around the basket, due primarily to excellent body control and coordination. Hayward’s biggest problem will be defensively, where his lateral quickness is subpar for a SF, but not worse than players like Danilo Gallinari or Hedo Turkoglu.”
Multiple mock drafts have him being drafted from the high teens through the end of the first round.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy