Apr 13, 2010, 9:57 AM EST
Oscar Robertson. Michael Jordan. LeBron James.
And now Tyreke Evans.
In case you had any doubt how good Tyreke Evans is, being put in that group should do it. Those are the only four players n NBA history to average 20 points, five rebounds and five assists per game as a rookie.
Love Brandon Jennings. Stephen Curry has game. But when you join the group Evans just did you get to be Rookie of the Year.
The Kings have been promoting this feat like mad, and for the fans at Arco Arena it seemed to matter far more than the game result (which was good, the Kings lost to the Rockets). As a player so great off the dribble, it seemed appropriate that he got the mark at the free-throw line after being fouled on the drive.
Evans was clearly feeling the pressure and pressing on offense the last two games to get the points he needed for the milestone, something he admitted to FanHouse.
“That was the most pressure I’d had so far (in his rookie season),” the player picked fourth overall out of the University of Memphis told FanHouse. “(I) was more nervous than getting drafted. I’m still shaking right now as we speak.
“But we kind of let up. I think because of the 20-5-5 and everybody wanted me to get it, I think that messed up our strategy. It was the toughest basket I ever had to get in my life but I’m glad I got it.”
It was the first lesson in real NBA pressure for Evans, but the Kings hope he gets a lot more of it in the coming years. The pressure of being the player a team builds around, the pressure of the playoffs and winning basketball. After a 20-5-5 season, after joining that group of players, the expectations and pressure on Evans are just starting to ramp up.
- Lakers’ Steve Blake out at least six weeks with elbow injury 8
- Report: Knicks, Raptors talking Kyle Lowry trade 17
- Tom Thibodeau to the Knicks? Well… 4
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns 32
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 8
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (50)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (39)