Tyreke Evans: 20-5-5 man. Just like the King, the Big O and MJ.

Apr 13, 2010, 9:57 AM EST

Evans_3.jpgOscar Robertson. Michael Jordan. LeBron James.

And now Tyreke Evans.

In case you had any doubt how good Tyreke Evans is, being put in that group should do it. Those are the only four players n NBA history to average 20 points, five rebounds and five assists per game as a rookie.

Love Brandon Jennings. Stephen Curry has game. But when you join the group Evans just did you get to be Rookie of the Year.

The Kings have been promoting this feat like mad, and for the fans at Arco Arena it seemed to matter far more than the game result (which was good, the Kings lost to the Rockets). As a player so great off the dribble, it seemed appropriate that he got the mark at the free-throw line after being fouled on the drive.

Evans was clearly feeling the pressure and pressing on offense the last two games to get the points he needed for the milestone, something he admitted to FanHouse.

“That was the most pressure I’d had so far (in his rookie season),” the player picked fourth overall out of the University of Memphis told FanHouse. “(I) was more nervous than getting drafted. I’m still shaking right now as we speak.

“But we kind of let up. I think because of the 20-5-5 and everybody wanted me to get it, I think that messed up our strategy. It was the toughest basket I ever had to get in my life but I’m glad I got it.”

It was the first lesson in real NBA pressure for Evans, but the Kings hope he gets a lot more of it in the coming years. The pressure of being the player a team builds around, the pressure of the playoffs and winning basketball. After a 20-5-5 season, after joining that group of players, the expectations and pressure on Evans are just starting to ramp up.

1. BC - Apr 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Was shocked Magic or Bird didn’t do it. Magic actually only cracked 20ppg four or so times. Bird almost did it – had the pts and rebounds, but only 4.5 assists per game.

2. Random statistical feats - Apr 13, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Sorry but the statistical feat mentioned isn’t of itself worthy of rookie of the year. I’d have to give the edge to Curry in that once he found his niche on the team he has been a superior player to Evans (statistically and from a team leaderships perspective). Curry is actually leading in most key statistical areas and close in others. Evans was obviously able to find his niche more quickly since there was nobody at that position when he joined the Kings…unlike Curry who had borderline all-star Monte Ellis playing a similar role for the Warriors.

3. Greg - Apr 13, 2010 at 1:04 PM

The statistical feat has only been done by a rookie 3 other times and currently there are only two other players in the NBA that have those stats, LeBraun James and Kobe Bryant, MVP candidates I think. Not to mention that Tyreke has done those numbers despite drawing the other teams best defender. I don’t usually see that with Curry.
    I think Steph Curry is great and I wish Tyreke had his outside shot, but that was the knock on LeBraun when he came to the league. I am looking for that shot to kimprove for ‘Reke in the offseason.

4. Greg - Apr 13, 2010 at 1:09 PM

5. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM

Its still a contrived combination of statistics. Why not require 40% from 3s or a certain % FTs or a certain number of steals a game as well? I can lump all kinds of players into “elite” categories by narrowing my specifications far enough.
    Curry could do 20/5/5 as well if that was specifically his goal. /shrug

6. career arcs - Apr 13, 2010 at 4:39 PM

When I watch them I can’t help but compare their games to present/near present players.
    Curry – VERY steve nash
    Evans – Mitch Richmond (once evans develops a jumper heh)

7. Anonymous - Apr 16, 2010 at 3:05 AM

There’s always this regarding Stephen Curry:
    He has had five games with at least 30 points and 10 assists, tying him with Jordan for the second most 30-10 games by a rookie. (Oscar Robertson holds the record, with 25). Only LeBron James and Dwyane Wade have posted more 30-10 games this season. On Feb. 10, Curry joined another elite group, finishing with 36 points, 13 assists and 10 rebounds against the Los Angeles Clippers. Only five other rookies have had a 35-10-10 game. All are either in the Hall of Fame or heading there: Jordan, Robertson, Jason Kidd, Jerry West and Elgin Baylor.

8. ahead of the pack - Apr 20, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Evans did it from the get go! Curry caught fire later in the season. I’ll take hard work and steady play every time! Also Evans had to take up the slack for an injured Kevin Martin…Sactos x best player…and he did so in a big way. Mark my words Tyreke Evans will be a stud in the NBA!

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches