Apr 13, 2010, 12:17 AM EDT
Memphis overachieved this year. Before the season, the joke was could a team finish the year with negative assists. But it turns out they can play — Marc Gasol is a pretty good center, OJ May and Rudy Gay have matured. They are fighting for a .500 record.
Coach Lionel Hollins deserves some credit for that, owner Michael Heisley realized that and made the offer.
And Hollins hasn’t touched it. And wouldn’t discuss why with FanHouse.
“Well, I haven’t signed it, so you just have to take that for what it is,” Hollins said in an interview with FanHouse before Monday’s game at Denver.
Hollins wouldn’t say whether it is years, money or some other reason why the extension hasn’t been signed. Heisley also wouldn’t reveal specifics, but expressed his desire for a return by Hollins, who has steered the team to a surprising 40-40 mark in his first full season on the job.
This is probably just negotiations — the Grizzlies trying to get their coach back on the cheap, Hollins trying to make a little extra bank. A deal will probably get done.
But if I were a team looking for a coach, I might well make a call to Hollins, see if there is some interest. He’s proven he can coach at this level, can get guys to gel. There are a few teams out there that could use a coach like that.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record