Apr 13, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Pau Gasol is going home to Barcelona and he’s bringing his teammates with him.
We’ll see if he can get Ron Artest to go out to dinner with him for some classic Catalan food, like “mondonguilles amb sìpia” (meatballs with cuttlefish). Because we need video of Ron-Ron’s face when that arrives.
Three NBA announced that teams are heading to Europe during training camp next October for a few games and some David Stern inspired game globalization marketing. The Lakers, Knicks and Timberwolves are going overseas with games to be playing games in Barcelona, London, Milan, and Paris.
The big name is the Lakers, who will face of against Pau Gasol’s old team and traditional European power Regal FC Barcelona, on Oct. 7 at Palau Sant Jordi. Gasol grew up just outside Barcelona.
The other games are the Knicks against Armani Jeans Milano (Mike D’Antoni’s old team from his playing days) on Oct. 3 in the Mediolanum Forum; the Lakers and the Timberwolves at the O2 Arena in London on Oct. 4; and the Knicks and Timberwolves on Oct. 6 in Paris at the Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy.
This is the fifth year in a row the NBA has sent NBA teams to Europe.
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 17
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 42
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 23
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 19
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 23