Apr 13, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Pau Gasol is going home to Barcelona and he’s bringing his teammates with him.
We’ll see if he can get Ron Artest to go out to dinner with him for some classic Catalan food, like “mondonguilles amb sìpia” (meatballs with cuttlefish). Because we need video of Ron-Ron’s face when that arrives.
Three NBA announced that teams are heading to Europe during training camp next October for a few games and some David Stern inspired game globalization marketing. The Lakers, Knicks and Timberwolves are going overseas with games to be playing games in Barcelona, London, Milan, and Paris.
The big name is the Lakers, who will face of against Pau Gasol’s old team and traditional European power Regal FC Barcelona, on Oct. 7 at Palau Sant Jordi. Gasol grew up just outside Barcelona.
The other games are the Knicks against Armani Jeans Milano (Mike D’Antoni’s old team from his playing days) on Oct. 3 in the Mediolanum Forum; the Lakers and the Timberwolves at the O2 Arena in London on Oct. 4; and the Knicks and Timberwolves on Oct. 6 in Paris at the Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy.
This is the fifth year in a row the NBA has sent NBA teams to Europe.
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 16
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10