Apr 13, 2010, 4:52 PM EST
Dwyane Wade’s life is just like yours and mine. I’m sure this happened to you a couple weekends ago: You’re just hanging out an exclusive Manhattan club (M2) with your bodyguard protecting you and your posse when the grandson of a famous mob boss wants to talk to you.
When it happened to Wade, however, he showed some balls (and a nifty ability to avoid future controversy) and said no to meeting Carmine Gotti. Of course, this story comes from the New York Post (did you have any doubt?).
Gotti was celebrating his birthday upstairs and was excited to hear Wade was downstairs. He headed down and asked to meet Wade, who responded, ‘There’s no way I’m meeting the Gottis or having my photo taken with them.’ Gotti’s security guard got into a scuffle with Wade’s. Gotti then headed back to his friends looking visibly upset, and Wade, who felt uncomfortable with the situation, decided to leave.
I don’t think Wade should have avoided Gotti because of his late grandfather’s mob ties. He should avoid him because he’s a reality television star.
- The Extra Pass: Bucks are bad, and that’s good; plus Wednesday’s recaps 4
- Wednesday night NBA grades: Amar’e Stoudemire played well? Yes. Yes he did. 10
- Report: D.J. Augustin reaches deal with Chicago Bulls 4
- PBT Extra: Talking Pacers win over Heat; Aldridge vs. Howard showdown 13
- Kidd says he is reading Frank’s “reports” as details of Nets coaching mess come public 14
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (62)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (55)
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat (49)
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players (47)
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions (37)