Apr 13, 2010, 4:52 PM EDT
Dwyane Wade’s life is just like yours and mine. I’m sure this happened to you a couple weekends ago: You’re just hanging out an exclusive Manhattan club (M2) with your bodyguard protecting you and your posse when the grandson of a famous mob boss wants to talk to you.
When it happened to Wade, however, he showed some balls (and a nifty ability to avoid future controversy) and said no to meeting Carmine Gotti. Of course, this story comes from the New York Post (did you have any doubt?).
Gotti was celebrating his birthday upstairs and was excited to hear Wade was downstairs. He headed down and asked to meet Wade, who responded, ‘There’s no way I’m meeting the Gottis or having my photo taken with them.’ Gotti’s security guard got into a scuffle with Wade’s. Gotti then headed back to his friends looking visibly upset, and Wade, who felt uncomfortable with the situation, decided to leave.
I don’t think Wade should have avoided Gotti because of his late grandfather’s mob ties. He should avoid him because he’s a reality television star.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85