Apr 13, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson, the latest film in ESPN’s “30 for 30″ documentary series, premiers tonight at 8:00 EST. No Crossover focuses on the fallout from a February 14th, 1993 brawl that involved a 17-year old Allen Iverson. Iverson ended up serving four months in jail because of his role in the brawl, and the trial itself exposes some still-simmering tensions in Iverson’s hometown of Hampton, Virginia. Iverson did not participate in the making of the film, which instead focuses on the community and the environment in which the brawl took place.
AVC: The film doesn’t lead to a single conclusion. It has the effect of clarifying the issue while muddying it as the same time.SJ: I’m definitely glad you said that. If I could engineer a response to this movie, it would be basically that you come out the other end asking a lot of questions and debating a lot of questions. It was really important to me in this film–and it’s important to me in all the films I do–that you hear all sides to this situation. Your hear from people in the African-American community who were adamant in their support of Allen, and there were also people in the African-American community who weren’t. I couldn’t get someone to go on-camera and say, “I really wanted Allen to go to prison.” But you certainly hear from people who convey that, and that’s discussed in the film.
I encourage you to check out the full interview, which includes more of James’ thoughts on Iverson, the Hampton community, and an update on the current whereabouts of the stars of Hoop Dreams.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9