Apr 13, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson, the latest film in ESPN’s “30 for 30” documentary series, premiers tonight at 8:00 EST. No Crossover focuses on the fallout from a February 14th, 1993 brawl that involved a 17-year old Allen Iverson. Iverson ended up serving four months in jail because of his role in the brawl, and the trial itself exposes some still-simmering tensions in Iverson’s hometown of Hampton, Virginia. Iverson did not participate in the making of the film, which instead focuses on the community and the environment in which the brawl took place.
AVC: The film doesn’t lead to a single conclusion. It has the effect of clarifying the issue while muddying it as the same time.SJ: I’m definitely glad you said that. If I could engineer a response to this movie, it would be basically that you come out the other end asking a lot of questions and debating a lot of questions. It was really important to me in this film–and it’s important to me in all the films I do–that you hear all sides to this situation. Your hear from people in the African-American community who were adamant in their support of Allen, and there were also people in the African-American community who weren’t. I couldn’t get someone to go on-camera and say, “I really wanted Allen to go to prison.” But you certainly hear from people who convey that, and that’s discussed in the film.
I encourage you to check out the full interview, which includes more of James’ thoughts on Iverson, the Hampton community, and an update on the current whereabouts of the stars of Hoop Dreams.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18