Apr 13, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson, the latest film in ESPN’s “30 for 30″ documentary series, premiers tonight at 8:00 EST. No Crossover focuses on the fallout from a February 14th, 1993 brawl that involved a 17-year old Allen Iverson. Iverson ended up serving four months in jail because of his role in the brawl, and the trial itself exposes some still-simmering tensions in Iverson’s hometown of Hampton, Virginia. Iverson did not participate in the making of the film, which instead focuses on the community and the environment in which the brawl took place.
AVC: The film doesn’t lead to a single conclusion. It has the effect of clarifying the issue while muddying it as the same time.SJ: I’m definitely glad you said that. If I could engineer a response to this movie, it would be basically that you come out the other end asking a lot of questions and debating a lot of questions. It was really important to me in this film–and it’s important to me in all the films I do–that you hear all sides to this situation. Your hear from people in the African-American community who were adamant in their support of Allen, and there were also people in the African-American community who weren’t. I couldn’t get someone to go on-camera and say, “I really wanted Allen to go to prison.” But you certainly hear from people who convey that, and that’s discussed in the film.
I encourage you to check out the full interview, which includes more of James’ thoughts on Iverson, the Hampton community, and an update on the current whereabouts of the stars of Hoop Dreams.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48