Apr 12, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
Written on the Magic’s Martin Gortat’s shoe when he took the court Sunday against the Cleveland Cavaliers was the flight number of the plane that crashed and killed 96 in his native Poland a day before.
Written on the tape on Gortat’s wrist was the name Lech Kaczynski, the president of Poland who died in that crash. Gortat told the Associated Press that the tragic crash was on his and his countrymen’s minds.
“It’s very sad,” Gortat said. “There were a lot of people putting our country on the right path to become one of the strongest and most powerful countries in Europe. Obviously, we pray for them.”
Gortat said he knew a couple people on that flight. Like all of his countrymen, Gortat is in a state of mourning.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28