Apr 12, 2010, 9:18 AM EDT
Written on the Magic’s Martin Gortat’s shoe when he took the court Sunday against the Cleveland Cavaliers was the flight number of the plane that crashed and killed 96 in his native Poland a day before.
Written on the tape on Gortat’s wrist was the name Lech Kaczynski, the president of Poland who died in that crash. Gortat told the Associated Press that the tragic crash was on his and his countrymen’s minds.
“It’s very sad,” Gortat said. “There were a lot of people putting our country on the right path to become one of the strongest and most powerful countries in Europe. Obviously, we pray for them.”
Gortat said he knew a couple people on that flight. Like all of his countrymen, Gortat is in a state of mourning.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Orlando Magic 0
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11