Apr 12, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
Don Nelson is Mr. Small Ball. Right? He wants to go small and just run you into the ground. Defense is sort of an afterthought. That’s the system he wants to play. Right.
You have got to play the hand that you are dealt. If you just have players that don’t have abilities or desires to play defense, you have got to figure out a way to win wherever you are so that is kind of where we have been. We are not a terrible defensive team. We are just not as good as most. Usually if you are going to anchor your team on defense you have got to have some sort of presence inside, some sort of a shot blocker or a presence of size inside. You know I have been having small, small teams for a long time.”
One could argue that it is the coach’s job to motivate and scheme for his team to play good defense, regardless of what the players want. But I’m not that one. I’m not going to argue with the NBA’s all-time winningest coach.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61