Apr 12, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
Don Nelson is Mr. Small Ball. Right? He wants to go small and just run you into the ground. Defense is sort of an afterthought. That’s the system he wants to play. Right.
You have got to play the hand that you are dealt. If you just have players that don’t have abilities or desires to play defense, you have got to figure out a way to win wherever you are so that is kind of where we have been. We are not a terrible defensive team. We are just not as good as most. Usually if you are going to anchor your team on defense you have got to have some sort of presence inside, some sort of a shot blocker or a presence of size inside. You know I have been having small, small teams for a long time.”
One could argue that it is the coach’s job to motivate and scheme for his team to play good defense, regardless of what the players want. But I’m not that one. I’m not going to argue with the NBA’s all-time winningest coach.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 22
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 26
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4