Apr 12, 2010, 4:02 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony probably has the game best suited for international basketball of any elite American player. Think about the guys who come out of Europe to the NBA, the guys trained to play international ball — Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, etc. They are big men with range, who can post up or knock down a mid-range shot.
Carmelo can post you up or hit the three. Or just take you off the dribble. He can run or work in the half court. He’s a solid team defender (and after a year in Syracuse gets the zone defense). He stands out in international competitions for a reason.
But he may not stand out this summer at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. He told FanHouse that he is on the fence about playing.
Asked if he’s wavering in the commitment he gave last fall to play, Anthony said, “Yeah.”
“I wasn’t expected to have the plans that I have,” Anthony said of his situation changing due to his marriage to MTV personality LaLa Vazquez, which likely will be in New York…
“My situation is a lot different from (James’),” Anthony said. “I have personal stuff I have to attend to. I think a lot of people are going to wait until after the season to see what they do.”
Ah, the old Jimmy Buffett excuse — some people say that there’s a woman to blame.
Like James, Anthony has put in a lot of summers for USA Basketball over the years, and should be allowed one off. And if Jerry Colangelo does not think getting married is one of them, he should ask his wife what she thinks. That will change your mind right quick.
- No stars, no problem: Spurs reserves too much for Warriors in 104-102 win 0
- Kobe injury a reality check for Lakers, doesn’t really change plan 6
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 25
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 56
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 35
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (45)