Apr 12, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony probably has the game best suited for international basketball of any elite American player. Think about the guys who come out of Europe to the NBA, the guys trained to play international ball — Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, etc. They are big men with range, who can post up or knock down a mid-range shot.
Carmelo can post you up or hit the three. Or just take you off the dribble. He can run or work in the half court. He’s a solid team defender (and after a year in Syracuse gets the zone defense). He stands out in international competitions for a reason.
But he may not stand out this summer at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. He told FanHouse that he is on the fence about playing.
Asked if he’s wavering in the commitment he gave last fall to play, Anthony said, “Yeah.”
“I wasn’t expected to have the plans that I have,” Anthony said of his situation changing due to his marriage to MTV personality LaLa Vazquez, which likely will be in New York…
“My situation is a lot different from (James’),” Anthony said. “I have personal stuff I have to attend to. I think a lot of people are going to wait until after the season to see what they do.”
Ah, the old Jimmy Buffett excuse — some people say that there’s a woman to blame.
Like James, Anthony has put in a lot of summers for USA Basketball over the years, and should be allowed one off. And if Jerry Colangelo does not think getting married is one of them, he should ask his wife what she thinks. That will change your mind right quick.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 2
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 35
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte