Apr 12, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony probably has the game best suited for international basketball of any elite American player. Think about the guys who come out of Europe to the NBA, the guys trained to play international ball — Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, etc. They are big men with range, who can post up or knock down a mid-range shot.
Carmelo can post you up or hit the three. Or just take you off the dribble. He can run or work in the half court. He’s a solid team defender (and after a year in Syracuse gets the zone defense). He stands out in international competitions for a reason.
But he may not stand out this summer at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. He told FanHouse that he is on the fence about playing.
Asked if he’s wavering in the commitment he gave last fall to play, Anthony said, “Yeah.”
“I wasn’t expected to have the plans that I have,” Anthony said of his situation changing due to his marriage to MTV personality LaLa Vazquez, which likely will be in New York…
“My situation is a lot different from (James’),” Anthony said. “I have personal stuff I have to attend to. I think a lot of people are going to wait until after the season to see what they do.”
Ah, the old Jimmy Buffett excuse — some people say that there’s a woman to blame.
Like James, Anthony has put in a lot of summers for USA Basketball over the years, and should be allowed one off. And if Jerry Colangelo does not think getting married is one of them, he should ask his wife what she thinks. That will change your mind right quick.
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 2
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 2
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 13
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 16
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 11
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 23