Apr 12, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Carmelo Anthony probably has the game best suited for international basketball of any elite American player. Think about the guys who come out of Europe to the NBA, the guys trained to play international ball — Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, etc. They are big men with range, who can post up or knock down a mid-range shot.
Carmelo can post you up or hit the three. Or just take you off the dribble. He can run or work in the half court. He’s a solid team defender (and after a year in Syracuse gets the zone defense). He stands out in international competitions for a reason.
But he may not stand out this summer at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. He told FanHouse that he is on the fence about playing.
Asked if he’s wavering in the commitment he gave last fall to play, Anthony said, “Yeah.”
“I wasn’t expected to have the plans that I have,” Anthony said of his situation changing due to his marriage to MTV personality LaLa Vazquez, which likely will be in New York…
“My situation is a lot different from (James’),” Anthony said. “I have personal stuff I have to attend to. I think a lot of people are going to wait until after the season to see what they do.”
Ah, the old Jimmy Buffett excuse — some people say that there’s a woman to blame.
Like James, Anthony has put in a lot of summers for USA Basketball over the years, and should be allowed one off. And if Jerry Colangelo does not think getting married is one of them, he should ask his wife what she thinks. That will change your mind right quick.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15