Apr 12, 2010, 4:02 PM EST
Carmelo Anthony probably has the game best suited for international basketball of any elite American player. Think about the guys who come out of Europe to the NBA, the guys trained to play international ball — Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, etc. They are big men with range, who can post up or knock down a mid-range shot.
Carmelo can post you up or hit the three. Or just take you off the dribble. He can run or work in the half court. He’s a solid team defender (and after a year in Syracuse gets the zone defense). He stands out in international competitions for a reason.
But he may not stand out this summer at the FIBA World Championships in Turkey. He told FanHouse that he is on the fence about playing.
Asked if he’s wavering in the commitment he gave last fall to play, Anthony said, “Yeah.”
“I wasn’t expected to have the plans that I have,” Anthony said of his situation changing due to his marriage to MTV personality LaLa Vazquez, which likely will be in New York…
“My situation is a lot different from (James’),” Anthony said. “I have personal stuff I have to attend to. I think a lot of people are going to wait until after the season to see what they do.”
Ah, the old Jimmy Buffett excuse — some people say that there’s a woman to blame.
Like James, Anthony has put in a lot of summers for USA Basketball over the years, and should be allowed one off. And if Jerry Colangelo does not think getting married is one of them, he should ask his wife what she thinks. That will change your mind right quick.
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 0
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15