Apr 12, 2010, 9:37 PM EDT
UPDATE 9:37 pm: Roy made a much more somber prognosis of his condition tonight before the Blazers/Thunder game. He has a slight meniscus tear in his right knee and may not be able to return for the playoffs. However, he is putting off the inevitable surgery in hopes that his knee heals enough to let him play in the post season. The amazing Ben Golliver of BlazersEdge has the quotes on twitter.
Will you play in playoff? Roy: “I don’t know right
now… I want to play… If I do play I want to play at a level I can
Brandon Roy says, “I will have surgery, it’s just a
matter of when.” Plans to have surgery during offseason.
8:23 am: Monday night is the biggest game of the season for the Portland Trail Blazers, facing the Oklahoma City Thunder with playoff seedings on the line.
Brandon Roy will miss it. He could even miss the start of the playoffs.
Sunday night an MRI revealed that Roy has a deep bone bruise on his right knee, suffered in the first half against the Lakers on Sunday. Roy was guarding Ron Artest and the two were fighting for position when Artest inadvertently stepped on Roy’s foot, holding it in place while his momentum continued forward. Roy said at the time he felt a sharp pain and his knee sort of locked up.
Roy will sit out tonight’s big game in Portland. The Blazers have one last game after that, against Golden State Wednesday, it’d be a surprise to see Roy suit up for that one. No timetable has been set for his return.
The Blazers have had success without Roy this year — they held on to beat the Lakers, and earlier this season beat the Spurs and Suns when Roy sat. But that was one regular season game. The Blazers need him to be healthy to have a shot against any team in the West over seven games.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11