Apr 11, 2010, 5:43 PM EDT
According to Scott Schroeder, the man, the myth, the legend, and the force behind Ridiculous Upside, the Denver Nuggets will sign 2-guard Coby Karl for the remainder of the year. Karl averaged 19.3 points, 6.0 rebounds, and 4.9 assists in an abbreviated season with the Idaho Stampede.
The Nuggets are facing a lot of questions right now, and Karl is not the answer to any of them. Not this Karl, at least. What he is though, is a capable shooter and passer that can hold his own on the defensive end. He has decent skills even if he’s well short of dominant, and it’s unlikely that he’ll play many minutes for Denver as the Nuggs lean even more heavily on their already established backcourt.
Plus, Coby happens to be the son of coach-on-leave George Karl. At the risk of coming of as overly-sentimental, that’s pretty cool. Few things could help more in terms of acclimating George Karl back to NBA life than having family along for the ride. Throw in the fact that Coby, too, is a cancer survivor (he was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2006), and this story is legitimately Hallmark-worthy.
Another short stint with an NBA team isn’t a bad line to fill out Coby’s resume, but the reasoning here don’t seem to be related to his career advancement. Karl the younger will help fill out the practice squad and possibly help the Nuggets out in a jam, but he’s not going to receive the opportunities afforded to other former D-Leaguers like Reggie Williams or Alonzo Gee.
Still, Coby has a chance to be the frilly lace on the roster of a would-be contender, get some more NBA experience (Karl has played 24 games on tours with three different teams), and help out his pops. Rarely are D-League call-ups so diverse in their motivations or implications, but this move is pretty unique, even if Coby Karl’s talent isn’t.
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 7
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 0
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 12
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Houston Rockets vs. Dallas Mavericks 15