Apr 10, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
There’s a buffet of free agents this summer. A smorgasbord. A plethora. A myriad. There’s quite simply a free agent for anything you need. They slice! They dice! They make french fries, too!
But if you were hoping your team might make a swing at Rockets forward Luis Scola, you can kill those dreams, put them in a box and bury them in a deep, dark hole right now.
The Houston Chronicle reports that Daryl Morey is under owners from owner Leslie Alexander to do whatever is necessary for the Rockets to re-sign Scola this summer. From the Chron:
will be back,” Morey said. And in case that were not clear enough, Morey
added the weight of owner Leslie Alexander’s marching orders to his
gave us the resources and said whatever it takes,” Morey said. “He’s
Strong words from Morey. Scola will be 30 at the end of this month, so any deal will likely take into account his age and longevity. At the same time, Scola’s not dependent on terrific athleticism, but instead accuracy, fundamentals, and smart, high-effort play. It’s entirely possible that his game will be able to remain viable throughout the length of an extension.
The only concern of course, as hinted in Jonathan Feigan’s article above, is the possibility of a Spanish team making a run for him with their notorious willingness to approach NBA players looking for greener pastures. But with Daryl Morey’s track record, the smart money is on the Rockets to keep Scola in the fold.
You may resume crying, Spurs fans.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 20
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona