Apr 10, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
There’s a buffet of free agents this summer. A smorgasbord. A plethora. A myriad. There’s quite simply a free agent for anything you need. They slice! They dice! They make french fries, too!
But if you were hoping your team might make a swing at Rockets forward Luis Scola, you can kill those dreams, put them in a box and bury them in a deep, dark hole right now.
The Houston Chronicle reports that Daryl Morey is under owners from owner Leslie Alexander to do whatever is necessary for the Rockets to re-sign Scola this summer. From the Chron:
will be back,” Morey said. And in case that were not clear enough, Morey
added the weight of owner Leslie Alexander’s marching orders to his
gave us the resources and said whatever it takes,” Morey said. “He’s
Strong words from Morey. Scola will be 30 at the end of this month, so any deal will likely take into account his age and longevity. At the same time, Scola’s not dependent on terrific athleticism, but instead accuracy, fundamentals, and smart, high-effort play. It’s entirely possible that his game will be able to remain viable throughout the length of an extension.
The only concern of course, as hinted in Jonathan Feigan’s article above, is the possibility of a Spanish team making a run for him with their notorious willingness to approach NBA players looking for greener pastures. But with Daryl Morey’s track record, the smart money is on the Rockets to keep Scola in the fold.
You may resume crying, Spurs fans.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34