Apr 10, 2010, 5:13 PM EDT
There’s a buffet of free agents this summer. A smorgasbord. A plethora. A myriad. There’s quite simply a free agent for anything you need. They slice! They dice! They make french fries, too!
But if you were hoping your team might make a swing at Rockets forward Luis Scola, you can kill those dreams, put them in a box and bury them in a deep, dark hole right now.
The Houston Chronicle reports that Daryl Morey is under owners from owner Leslie Alexander to do whatever is necessary for the Rockets to re-sign Scola this summer. From the Chron:
will be back,” Morey said. And in case that were not clear enough, Morey
added the weight of owner Leslie Alexander’s marching orders to his
gave us the resources and said whatever it takes,” Morey said. “He’s
Strong words from Morey. Scola will be 30 at the end of this month, so any deal will likely take into account his age and longevity. At the same time, Scola’s not dependent on terrific athleticism, but instead accuracy, fundamentals, and smart, high-effort play. It’s entirely possible that his game will be able to remain viable throughout the length of an extension.
The only concern of course, as hinted in Jonathan Feigan’s article above, is the possibility of a Spanish team making a run for him with their notorious willingness to approach NBA players looking for greener pastures. But with Daryl Morey’s track record, the smart money is on the Rockets to keep Scola in the fold.
You may resume crying, Spurs fans.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2