Apr 10, 2010, 1:05 PM EDT
A week from Sunday, the NBA playoffs will commence, with a big doubleheader of first-round games. Because Sunday is the showcase time, the prime time. (Want to bet that the Lakers and Cavaliers are involved even though other series will be more interesting?)
“It is a business decision to not play home games on Sunday. We believe it would be very difficult to draw 19,911 fans to EnergySolutions Arena for a regular-season Sunday game, based on past experiences we have had with Sunday home games during the NBA playoffs.
“About the only way it would work was if the opponent were the Lakers, LeBron [James], or the Celtics.
“The Salt Lake Bees play between 10 to 12 Sunday home games each season, and our experience there has shown that Sunday attendance is about 50 percent less than other days of the week. Sundays are also slow for our Megaplex Theatres.”
The reason is the deep connection of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the area, commonly called the Mormons.
Personally, I couldn’t care less when the Jazz play as long as they don’t wear those green throwback uniforms.The Jazz have played some Sunday road games in recent years. Jazz star Deron Williams has been public in his support of Sunday games, because it helps spread out the days between games to give the team more rest.
But in the NBA, when it comes to rest for the players versus money, who wins? Exactly. And every time.
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 14
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 39
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 81
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48