Apr 9, 2010, 7:25 PM EDT
Phil Jackson and Mike Brown are on the same page — if you have some stars who could use a little rest before the playoffs, get it for them. Don’t risk further injury. Last night both the Lakers and Cavaliers were willing to sacrifice wins — both losing close games on the road — to sit and rest Kobe Bryant and LeBron James.
Stan Van Gundy is on a totally different page.
“Look, if you’re going to coach worried about injuries, don’t play your guys at all ever,” Van Gundy said this morning.
“Sit em for 82 games all year. Don’t have them practice. Don’t have them play. What’s the difference? Do their injury chances go up tonight as opposed to playing last week?
“Every time you play, yeah you have a chance of getting hurt. I’m not going to sit a guy for 12 days and I don’t think those guys are going to sit their guys for 12 days either and so if they come back and play in the last game and get hurt, what, was that a mistake? I’m not ever going to run in fear of injuries.”
If you’re sitting a guy just because you fear the Andrew Bogut/Chris Bosh scenario, maybe SVG has a point. But he also knows that after 82 games nobody’s legs are as fresh as they were in November. Everybody has bumps and bruises and soreness. Why not give those guys some time off? Why not rest their legs so maybe they have a little more spring in their step? So they are a little mentally fresher?
There are a lot of days off in the playoffs, but it doesn’t feel like that with the pressure and focus and practices. A mini-vacation for a player right now is not a bad thing.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 1
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record