Kobe Bryant plans to play for Team USA. Dwyane Wade unsure.

Apr 9, 2010, 8:18 AM EST

Any number of top NBA players are acting like the 15-year-old daughter trying to get out of the family vacation. “But Dad, I don’t want to go to Turkey.”

Kobe Bryant, however, has stepped up and told Yahoo Sports that he plans on playing in the FIBA World Championships in Istanbul.

When asked Thursday if he plans to play, Bryant said: “As far as I know. Obviously, I got a couple of health issues, one being a cracked finger. We’ll see how it goes.”

At the same time, Dwyane Wade told Sports Illustrated he is still on the fence.

“I’m undecided,” said Wade. “There’s no question about it…. “I have a lot of personal things going on this summer. I would love to compete but I might not be able to because of the personal things in my life. It’s no secret that I’m going through a divorce. I have to take care of that. My kids come first. I’ve given a lot of time to USA Basketball and I think they understand my dedication to it, but the Wade family comes first.”

Of course, it’s also about the money. Kobe got his, recently signing a three-year extension to his deal keeping him in Los Angeles. Wade is a free agent this summer. So is LeBron James, who has said he does not plan to play. While their contract dance likely will not string out until August, they are playing it safe.

Which is fine, both have played a lot for Team USA in recent years. They deserve to a pass stay home from this family summer vacation.

1. NJ Redeem - Apr 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM

We hae a ton of guards but Lebron is imposible to replace. he should play in turkey and g out on top. for one this will be the last oportunity to take advantage of the short 3 point line and we havent stuck gold at the world championship in 16 years.

2. MD, Glen Burnie - Apr 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Without knowing the extent of the reason 4 the divorce. If the Wade family comes first, then you would be with your wife!!!!!!!!!

3. Ed Hardy - Apr 9, 2010 at 12:31 PM

What a stupid comment conservative moral statment. Just because you put your wife and kids first in your life does not mean she will not divorce you.

4. Skids - Apr 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Ed, your rebut at MD is just as stupid. Maybe you’re a lib and don’t understand the importance of family.
    Otherwise, good news on Kobe. That should account for about 30 shots a game. Recruit some good offensive rebounders!!

5. Normal - Apr 9, 2010 at 1:24 PM

Sniff Sniff. I smell another 2-dimensional fringe loving racist. You freaks are everywhere. Wow….Oh, I gotta get back to my family now where we teach all about this crazy thing called common sense and human decency. Later

6. The Question Is..... - Apr 9, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Will Kobe be raping anybody while playing for Team USA? I don’t want being on the team to interfere with his rape schedule.

7. yo - Apr 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM

I’m not an expert or a gossip hound. But the little I’ve seen glancing over internet front pages, His wife was cheating on him a lot. Not sure if he has a few sins he is equally guilty of and not sure if he is even being accused of any negatives. But yeah.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches