Apr 9, 2010, 8:18 AM EDT
Any number of top NBA players are acting like the 15-year-old daughter trying to get out of the family vacation. “But Dad, I don’t want to go to Turkey.”
Kobe Bryant, however, has stepped up and told Yahoo Sports that he plans on playing in the FIBA World Championships in Istanbul.
When asked Thursday if he plans to play, Bryant said: “As far as I know. Obviously, I got a couple of health issues, one being a cracked finger. We’ll see how it goes.”
At the same time, Dwyane Wade told Sports Illustrated he is still on the fence.
“I’m undecided,” said Wade. “There’s no question about it…. “I have a lot of personal things going on this summer. I would love to compete but I might not be able to because of the personal things in my life. It’s no secret that I’m going through a divorce. I have to take care of that. My kids come first. I’ve given a lot of time to USA Basketball and I think they understand my dedication to it, but the Wade family comes first.”
Of course, it’s also about the money. Kobe got his, recently signing a three-year extension to his deal keeping him in Los Angeles. Wade is a free agent this summer. So is LeBron James, who has said he does not plan to play. While their contract dance likely will not string out until August, they are playing it safe.
Which is fine, both have played a lot for Team USA in recent years. They deserve to a pass stay home from this family summer vacation.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15