Apr 9, 2010, 8:18 AM EDT
Any number of top NBA players are acting like the 15-year-old daughter trying to get out of the family vacation. “But Dad, I don’t want to go to Turkey.”
Kobe Bryant, however, has stepped up and told Yahoo Sports that he plans on playing in the FIBA World Championships in Istanbul.
When asked Thursday if he plans to play, Bryant said: “As far as I know. Obviously, I got a couple of health issues, one being a cracked finger. We’ll see how it goes.”
At the same time, Dwyane Wade told Sports Illustrated he is still on the fence.
“I’m undecided,” said Wade. “There’s no question about it…. “I have a lot of personal things going on this summer. I would love to compete but I might not be able to because of the personal things in my life. It’s no secret that I’m going through a divorce. I have to take care of that. My kids come first. I’ve given a lot of time to USA Basketball and I think they understand my dedication to it, but the Wade family comes first.”
Of course, it’s also about the money. Kobe got his, recently signing a three-year extension to his deal keeping him in Los Angeles. Wade is a free agent this summer. So is LeBron James, who has said he does not plan to play. While their contract dance likely will not string out until August, they are playing it safe.
Which is fine, both have played a lot for Team USA in recent years. They deserve to a pass stay home from this family summer vacation.
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 27
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 52
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 7
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 31
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 47
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 26
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 22