Apr 9, 2010, 8:18 AM EDT
Any number of top NBA players are acting like the 15-year-old daughter trying to get out of the family vacation. “But Dad, I don’t want to go to Turkey.”
Kobe Bryant, however, has stepped up and told Yahoo Sports that he plans on playing in the FIBA World Championships in Istanbul.
When asked Thursday if he plans to play, Bryant said: “As far as I know. Obviously, I got a couple of health issues, one being a cracked finger. We’ll see how it goes.”
At the same time, Dwyane Wade told Sports Illustrated he is still on the fence.
“I’m undecided,” said Wade. “There’s no question about it…. “I have a lot of personal things going on this summer. I would love to compete but I might not be able to because of the personal things in my life. It’s no secret that I’m going through a divorce. I have to take care of that. My kids come first. I’ve given a lot of time to USA Basketball and I think they understand my dedication to it, but the Wade family comes first.”
Of course, it’s also about the money. Kobe got his, recently signing a three-year extension to his deal keeping him in Los Angeles. Wade is a free agent this summer. So is LeBron James, who has said he does not plan to play. While their contract dance likely will not string out until August, they are playing it safe.
Which is fine, both have played a lot for Team USA in recent years. They deserve to a pass stay home from this family summer vacation.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3