Apr 9, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
The Indiana Pacers were just hard to watch this season. This was a team that wanted to run — second fastest pace in the league at 97 possessions per game — but didn’t have any ball handlers who could handle it. Throw in some key injuries and a disinterested defense and you got a lot of ugly basketball. At least until the last few weeks, when everything seemed to click just in time to cost the team lottery odds. Just perfect.
Pacers owner Herb Simon didn’t enjoy watching this season either — the team could finish with 50 losses for the first time in two decades.
That doesn’t mean he’s selling the team, he refuted the Forbes report and says the team is not on the market. He also thinks things are on the right path and no changes to the front office are coming, he told the Indianapolis Star.
Yes, (President of Basketball Operations) Larry (Bird) will be back next season. It’ll be up to him on if he wants to return after next season. Larry is a no-nonsense guy. He calls the shots the way he sees them and he’s never going to compromise his values, which I appreciate…
All I can tell you is I sit next to Larry at games and after every timeout there’s a line of people waiting for his autograph. There may be some people that criticize him, but he’s a special person. He’s confident that he’ll get this thing turned around.
Coach Jim O’Brien is going to be back as well, Simon said. Which is fine, he system can win and can draw fans, if they get the right players in to run it. The Pacers need a roster shakeup, some players to go around Danny Granger, some round pegs to go in the round holes, not what they have now. That is on Bird. And no matter how many people want his autograph, if he can’t make the moves someone else needs to come in and do so.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights