Apr 9, 2010, 1:28 PM EDT
The Indiana Pacers were just hard to watch this season. This was a team that wanted to run — second fastest pace in the league at 97 possessions per game — but didn’t have any ball handlers who could handle it. Throw in some key injuries and a disinterested defense and you got a lot of ugly basketball. At least until the last few weeks, when everything seemed to click just in time to cost the team lottery odds. Just perfect.
Pacers owner Herb Simon didn’t enjoy watching this season either — the team could finish with 50 losses for the first time in two decades.
That doesn’t mean he’s selling the team, he refuted the Forbes report and says the team is not on the market. He also thinks things are on the right path and no changes to the front office are coming, he told the Indianapolis Star.
Yes, (President of Basketball Operations) Larry (Bird) will be back next season. It’ll be up to him on if he wants to return after next season. Larry is a no-nonsense guy. He calls the shots the way he sees them and he’s never going to compromise his values, which I appreciate…
All I can tell you is I sit next to Larry at games and after every timeout there’s a line of people waiting for his autograph. There may be some people that criticize him, but he’s a special person. He’s confident that he’ll get this thing turned around.
Coach Jim O’Brien is going to be back as well, Simon said. Which is fine, he system can win and can draw fans, if they get the right players in to run it. The Pacers need a roster shakeup, some players to go around Danny Granger, some round pegs to go in the round holes, not what they have now. That is on Bird. And no matter how many people want his autograph, if he can’t make the moves someone else needs to come in and do so.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 21
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25